Author Topic: and another question re silver (?) measuring cups  (Read 2071 times)

iknowlittle

• View Profile
and another question re silver (?) measuring cups
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:18:59 am »
We have this set of 4 measuring cups.....or that is what they seem to be. They sit inside each other like Russian dolls and are wrapped together in a brown leather pouch. Unfortunately the hallmarks are really hard to read.
Can anyone help me find out more about them from the following pictures? Unfortyunately the markings are faint, it isn't just bad photography!
Thanks in advance!

mart

• View Profile
Re: and another question re silver (?) measuring cups
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:06:57 am »
On the top pic I could see it a bit but it was upside down so couldn`t see the hallmarks !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:34:39 am »
Hmm..  I spent some time looking for these.  It says "Made in England". I posted a few cropped images below but the marks are still unreadable to me. Maybe a loupe would help?  Anyway - I too came up empty handed - But they are neat!

Purely speculative but, I have an old pencil sharpener from my g-pa who was an artist. It has the same style of leather case. It still has it's price tag ($.95) which makes me think it's from the 1950/60's...  Speculation on speculation but thought I'd throw that in.

Also am posting this here mostly b/c I always forget the dates on "Made in ________" - Definitely 20th century. This is from a pottery site but am sure the same applies for most items.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/general.htm

'England':- Inclusion of the word 'England' in marks denotes a date after 1891, although some manufacturers (Thomas Elsmore & Sons for example) added the word slightly before this date. 'Made in England' denotes a 20th-century date.

It was William McKinley (the 25th president of the USA) who introduced the highly protectionist McKinley Tariff Act of 1890 - this imposed tariffs on many imports (including pottery) in order to make it easier for the American manufacturers to sell their products. It was a requirement of this Act that all such imports carried the name of the country of manufacture.

This provided well-known marks such as "Bavaria," "England," "Nippon," - indicating the country of manufacture.
In 1921 the Act was amended to require the phrase "Made in" preceding the country of origin, The labeling at individual British potteries varies somewhat from the 1891/1921 dating requirements described above (e.g., Wedgwood adopted the "Made in England" around 1908/10 and may have used it on some pieces as early as 1898),

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:45:05 am »
In the US it was added early 50`s when so much was made in Japan and sold here !!  I think it was part of the recovery after the war !!

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:43:41 pm »
I think what you have is a set of Nesting Shot glasses. Most of the ones I have found were made in Germany. Here is a link that shows them and if you search for nesting shot glasses you can find many different sites that have them like ebay, etsy and others.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/74881508/antique-german-silver-and-brass-nesting

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 08:35:06 pm »
Nice work Kysfinest!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 09:51:57 pm »
Great Job KYsfinest!  Beat me to it!  They were used when traveling!  (Those traveling salemen drank alot!  LOL)  However, if they are silver...chances are they were owned by a well-to-do gentleman versus an every-day-citizen.

They made silverplate sets and silver...but the silver were less common.  Usually nice silver sets were in well marked leather pouches.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!