Author Topic: Is this a fair price? Orange Crush Clock  (Read 3577 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Is this a fair price? Orange Crush Clock
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:28:19 pm »
My Mom and Aunt are splitting things from my Grans estate and have decided to sell this clock. I couldn't find the exact one on-line but did find ones very similar. That probably means the asking price would be pretty much the same, wouldn't it?

I contacted a clock museum here in Canada to find out more about it and he made an offer of $100 and will pay the postage. Most of the clocks I found were between that and $150

Info:
It is made by the Canadian Neon-Ray Clock Company. It works but at some point the cord was spliced and wired. Yes, I know! An accident waiting to happen.
Some paint is missing on the dial. So it is not in the best of shape.

I think it is a fair offer but my Mom thinks because I can't find the identical one that it is worth more than the others.

I was hesitant to post this because I thought with my luck he would be a member here! LOL! And if he is, sorry but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.   :-[

Here are some photos:

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Is this a fair price? Orange Crush Clock
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:29:26 pm »
Size: Approx. 15 inches.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:55:11 pm »
If it's the right clock it could be around $400.00 dollars. I love it! Great clock. Does it light up?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:13 pm »
I found one on live auctioneers that is close enough to yours that I would be comfortable with it !!  Minor variations but better condition !!  It was estimated between $300. and $400. starting bid was $150. and 20 bids were placed !! I think yours should be priced at about $175. to  $200. due to the paint loss on front !!  If that splice is done right its perfectly safe to use if its modern wire !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »
Thank you both so much!!

We did put a bulb in it, but not a proper one. It did light up. Didn't keep it in because we were worried it wasn't the right type and would wreck it. Now I have to tell my Mom she was right. I'll feel bad for the clock guy.  :(

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 03:58:37 pm »
I got the value from a book. Maybe the value dropped. that could be the case my book is a couple of years old.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 04:12:00 pm »
Keep in mind that the one that I looked at,, each bid may have only been for a dollar so,,don`t know anything exactly,,,yet !!  And what it should sell for and what it actually sells for are two different things,,then there is this "economy" thing !! Its not too good !!  You might call the clock guy and offer it at $175. which is a good price,, see if he is interested !!  He may counter offer !! If you list it on ebay it could bring a lot less !!

No greenacres,, book is fine,,,economy is bad !!   Things are just selling lower !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »
Mom would be happy with $175. That's more than I expected it would be worth. You two are great! I don't have an e-bay account. We were just going to pop it up at craigslist. I don't have enough things that are going to be sold to justify using ebay. I don't have paypal either. Not even a cell phone! I guess I am a bit old fashioned except for my computers.

I really appreciate your help.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 06:03:29 pm »
lol, Mart. I get the message. Things are bad your absolutely right. We do historical rehabs and construction and it ain't what it used to be.,lol Good luck with the auction Snowflake. Let us know how you do.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:21:57 pm »
I won't put it in an auction and will go back the the clock guy for another price. If he doesn't want to up it a bit, I'll just pop it up at craigslist.
I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

You do reno's and rehab's? That's cool! I hear you, the construction industry has been slow these past few years. Hubby and I are in the trades too. We've been lucky to stay fairly busy so far. But it's touch and go when you think of what lies ahead. Could get much slower. That's why I'm glad we grow most of our own food!  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:30:53 pm »
Mom would be happy with $175. That's more than I expected it would be worth. You two are great! I don't have an e-bay account. We were just going to pop it up at craigslist. I don't have enough things that are going to be sold to justify using ebay. I don't have paypal either. Not even a cell phone! I guess I am a bit old fashioned except for my computers.

I really appreciate your help.

Heavens,, You do not need a large inventory for ebay,,Most I have on at one time is ten or less !! Then I may not list anything for a month !!  Its all very simple and a good way to move your smaller, less expensive items !!  If you do craigslist,, start the clock at $200. because you can bet they will try to get a cheaper price !! Gives you a little wiggle room to deal !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 07:38:29 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'll take your advice and put it up for $200 if the clock guy doesn't want to up a bit. I will still feel bad going back to him and saying to up it a bit. I'm not used to this kind of thing. I've only ever sold an appliance, and they just paid what I asked! I'll have to get my Mom to get computer savvy and let her wheel and deal!  ;)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:11:16 pm »
Deal!