Author Topic: Old Cheese Dish in New Zealand  (Read 3155 times)

Coote

• View Profile
Old Cheese Dish in New Zealand
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:01:11 pm »
Hi...   I'm pleased to have found you.

I have an old crockery platter and lid that we have called 'The Cheese Dish" since I was a kid.   It comes from my mother's side of the family and it evidently came to New Zealand with my ancestors from Britain sometime during the 1800's.  My uncle told me it could have been made sometime before the 1800's.

It is triangular in shape.   It measures approximately 8 inches tall and it is about 11.5 inches wide.  It is quite heavy.

The only marks I can see on it are a "B" stamped on the underside of the lid... and what seems to be a hand-drawn "X" on the underside of the base.

There are holes in the top of the lid.

I'd be very interested to get ideas regarding how old it is, where it came from, and what it might be worth.

Many thanks in advance....   Stephen Coote, Nelson, New Zealand.    Here's a photo:

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Old Cheese Dish in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:15:16 pm »
Hi Stephen! Welcome! Could you possibly get pictures of the marks? I just love your piece. It's gorgeous! Cheese just happens to be one of my favorite foods.  :D

I wish I could be of more help, but I am sure there others here who will be able to.

Coote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:32:26 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here is the mark on the underside of the cover:

And here is the cross on the base:

And the view from above:

Much appreciated....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:12:41 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 03:25:49 am »
Coote, beautiful piece of porcelain you have there. I am going to suggest you check this Pottery Forum out if you haven’t done so already. There are some pretty knowledgeable people thereon who specialize in English and European porcelain, etc. Here following is the link address, to wit: 

http://pottery.yobunny.com/index.php

Be sure to let us know if you find out anything from them.

Coote

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:29:30 am »
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I will check out the pottery forum tomorrow.   Off to bed now.   Thanks and best wishes...   Coote.

Coote

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:52:15 am »
Thanks Cogar.   As you suggested I went to pottery.yobunny.com

Within a short time of posting my question there, I was referred to this auction catalogue:

http://www.denhams.com/auction-catalogue/antique/481/ceramic-glass-pottery/plates-dishes-chargers/

As can be seen, lot number 695 looks to be very similar to my piece.  If they are the same, then my cheese dish is probably 19th Century and worth maybe thirty British pounds.

So if I sold it, I wouldn't get quite enough money to buy a new house.

For some time I feel there have been some family 'issues' about the possible value of this piece, especially seeing I have possession of it.  So I'm smiling while I'm writing this.   Maybe I can get somebody's hopes up by giving it to them!!

Thanks for your help....   Coote.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:53:47 am by Coote »

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:34:53 am »
I bet if you found out the actual maker of the piece the price might go up.  ;D That list that you were referred to, did not give any maker info.
That being said, I believe your cross mark is two swords crossing. The crossed sword mark is hard to identify, because many makers of pottery and such used a mark with crossed swords. I have a piece that has a "crossed swords mark" and there is an o between the tips. It was hard to find, but I did eventually come across someone giving the maker name, but I have a hard time trusting that, because the person asking the question did not post any pictures of the mark for the identifier to go on. I do not feel confident enough to say my piece came from that maker. 

But if you find the maker of it, the price might go up.  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 08:20:05 am »
As Bob said many used the crossed swords mark,,yours is impressed into the dish rather than marked and glazed over such as Meissen`s would be !! And they used bue crossed swords I think !! The letter B should tell  something but I haven`t found it yet !!