Poll

Do we go together?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do we go together?  (Read 1320 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Do we go together?
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:38:18 pm »
So I bought these two pieces together at an auction, and I'm trying to figure out if they really go together or not...the lid has some damage (crazing, a hairline crack and a chip), so I was considering just tossing the lid and keeping the bottom, but as I was examining the lid I found an old (well very very faded anyhow) handwritten retail sticker on it that said $55, so now I'm hesitant to scrap the lid and am wondering if this is a style anyone recognizes or really any info about it at all.  The lid is pretty heavy glazed ceramic or stoneware (?) with crazing to it (the whole piece weighs 5 pounds!).  The glass part is 5.5"H, 11.5"W.  The lid is 10.5" in diameter.  As you can see from the measurements the lid doesn't extend all the way to the glass rim, and the lid also has an inside "rim" that might've fit into a container, but: 1) they were sold together (which means little to nothing  :)), 2) they do look nice together, 3) it does completely cover the surface area that it touches on the stand.  No maker markings anywhere.

Also curious to know what you would do:  scrap the lid, keep it together, etc.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Do we go together?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:33:15 am »
They were not made to go together, ..... but I wouldn't throw the lid away, ...... someone out there is looking for it.  ;D ;D

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:19:02 am »
No they don't go together. The lid is most likely for a casserole dish or serving dish. The Cake stand(glass bottom) would have a tall domed lid if it had one at all. I would not scrap the lid I would try and list it separately. Like Cougar said someone is looking for that lid.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:00 am »
Thanks, guys!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:34 am »
Thats right !!!!