Author Topic: Age of a Hall Simpson Miller Creut Castor  (Read 2484 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Age of a Hall Simpson Miller Creut Castor
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »
Okay, I have a Creut (Cruet?) castor made by Hall Simpson Miller & Co. I know they were absorbed into another company in 1898, and ceased to exist. The problem I have is there is only the maker's mark, and the # 201 on the piece. ANyone know how I can date it?

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Age of a Hall Simpson Miller Creut Castor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:15:09 pm »
Would need to see the makers mark & research how the company marked pieces and the time line IF records were kept.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:02 pm »
This is the only marking on the piece. It is found underneath the "platter" where the glassware sits:

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »
You're going to have me digging mine out again to recheck for a maker......only found numbers in a few locations on mine, but will double check the underside of the 'tray' closer now.   ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »
A very attractive SHM with lovely decorative bottles sold for $115 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simpson-Hall-Miller-Co-5-bottle-silverplate-Cruet-Set-/330602981626#ht_500wt_1143

Yet another went for $23.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CRUET-SET-SIMPSON-HALL-MILLER-CO-/320747084689#ht_500wt_909

I think much of their 'value' depends on who's looking at a particular time

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:51:17 pm »
Another example of needing the right people at the right time........

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/864537

Estimate $150 - $300
Starting Bid $75

SOLD  $ 70 !!   :-[

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:45 pm »
Nice one (all of your posts) , sapphire !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:14:59 am »
I really shouldn't post when it's late  :P  I miss too much important detail......like how to establish a date.

Not much more awake this morning and I know there are others here with much deeper info actually stored in their brains, but came across this slightly informative tidbit.  As you mentioned, they were taken over (rather, formed a coalition with) Internation Silver along with many other companies.  But they did not cease to exist.

The individual companies maintained separate identities, significant for those seeking to identify antique silver. When you're looking at antique silver, keep in mind that initially the companies that joined International Silver Company did not use the standard mark of the company as a whole. Instead, the individual companies continued to use their identities and marked silverware with their own touchmarks. Only products sold by International Silver as a parent company used the International Silver mark.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5065999_history-international-silver-company.html#ixzz1XpgshU3O

"The individual companies maintained separate identities, significant for those seeking to identify antique silver. When you're looking at antique silver, keep in mind that initially the companies that joined International Silver Company did not use the standard mark of the company as a whole. Instead, the individual companies continued to use their identities and marked silverware with their own touchmarks. Only products sold by International Silver as a parent company used the International Silver Mark"

This doesn't help with giving you an actual date, but does tell you that Simpson Hall Miller were still using their mark after 1898.

Will hunt up some caffeine and see if I can come up with more. In the meantime, wait for someone who knows what they're talking about. :D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:02:06 am »
Beat me to it Sapphire!!! I have not had any success of the actual date of your piece, Simpson Hall Miller were still using their mark after 1898. Have found no records of specific marks used for specific dates by this company. This info does help narrow down a time frame. remember Overlap in periods and influences always occur. 
Castors became popular in 1840s, short legs and low frames
Fancy castors introduced 1850s
Revolving castors introduced 1855 - short in stature
Revolving castors tall in stature - 1880s
Castors went out of style in the 1890s

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:30 am »
Frustrating trying to nail down the date.

I did learn from this thread that one cannot assume that once a company joins another that  the mint mark is no longer used! I tripled checked the piece and there in nothing else on it other than the picture I showed above. Oh well, so much to learn......