Author Topic: Oak Ice Box information needed please.  (Read 5140 times)

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
Oak Ice Box information needed please.
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »
One of my clients (I run a very small eBay based consignment business) has an old ice box for me to sell. And while I'm normally decent at research for this sort of thing, I'm at a loss this time. Part of that being is that there is no brand or mark on it anywhere visible. I have looked underneath, behind, and inside of the box itself. I can find no indication of who manufactured it originally. It stands approximately 43 3/8" tall, 33" in length (face of it), and 18" deep. On the site visit, I forgot my magnet, so I could not confirm that the hardware was brass or plated. I would have to assume that the hardware is brass. I checked each of the screws going into the hinges and latches, and they are all identical and correct for the time period.

The rear legs have been "repaired" some time ago. Whoever did it did not even try to match the styling, wood, or even blend it into the piece itself. They essentially made it useful again if not cosmetically correct. There is some rust on the inside, and parts of the metal are bent. The upper right door has been hit hard, and has some cracks in the top corner. Something is separated or loose, but you can still see them.

And now the worst part...

The owner at one point in time attempted to refinish it. He's a nice man, and I know he meant well, but he did not understand the qualities of wood that old, and it came out rather badly as the pictures will show. It's an excellent restoration or re purposing platform, and the owner is not too concerned about how much it will sell for. Neither of us know the history on it. When I asked him, he told me "My wife bought it twenty some odd years ago from an antique shop up north".

Can anyone tell me anything about it in terms of possible manufacturer and price? Mainly price, but I want my listing to be clear and honest.

Thank you.

Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
Re: Oak Ice Box information needed please.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:51 pm »
Here are some more pictures including the repairs.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:31 pm »
I'm not well-versed on restoration furniture but my little two cents would be I've found people like the "stories" behind items and it often helps boost the bidding (in my opinion), so you may want to include the information you just gave us.  Sounds charming.

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:23:43 am »
I'm going to get some more of the story if I can. Like any antiques collector, we do love our history!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:56:12 am »
Those old Ice Boxes are used as decorator pieces and thus “who made it” is unimportant. I wouldn’t even begin to guess how many different “makers” there were of them. That is standard hardware that is found on most all such ice boxes and which was most probably “ordered” from a supplier of said. The hardware is nickel plated to keep from rusting.

My advise is, sell it “as is”, because, unless you refinish it yourself you might end up having more cost in it than it is worth. As long as the zinc lining of the compartments is in good shape, the repaired rear legs should not affect the value of it.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:48:49 am »
Wow !!  Really made a mess of it didn`t he ?? But,, there are many of these around and most likely whoever buys it will probably re-purpose it any way !! It would have had a drip pan with it but guess it is gone !!  It would have had a brass or similar plate somewhere on it telling the Mfr. but like was said it is nice to have for a restored piece,,but would have no major effect on price !!  Here they can sell from $125. to about $250. depending on size and condition !! This one would maybe get $75. to $100. in its condition !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:13:26 am »
Thank you!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:08 am »
I think the lousy refinishing job is going to hurt the value on this one. There are so many of these out there in good shape, that to even be able to sell one looking like this, it will have to be at a bargain price, because the next owner will have one heck of a sanding job on thier hands. The alternative is to refinish it to try to get more.

This one from my local craigslist incorporates an interesting twist- They lined the interior with fabric to make it a nicer storage area. I'm not sure what I think of this idea. I prefer things to be in their original condition, but on the other hand, this DOES make the interior space far more pleasant and "user-friendly". However I would have gone with something other than "Bordello Red" as a fabric choice, but you get the idea. Interesting concept.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/2565888525.html

Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:52:10 am »
Tales,, did they say that it was fabric ??  If I am not very mistaken,, that is wallpaper !! I did the revamping and finish work on a three story "new" Victorian house a few years back and that same paper is what I had to hang in the parlor !!  And the same color !!  Parlor was three stories tall,,do I need to say how I hated that little job ??  And it was a pain to match seams !!  I remember that stuff well !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:11:31 pm »
The listing does not say, that was my assumption and now that you mention it, it sure does look like wallpaper. Interesting way to make the ice box more functional as a storage unit. I've seen them painted over inside, but never done quite like this.

Three stories tall on a parlor? Wow! That must have been scary!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 02:39:31 pm »
Wow.....kinda shocking to open that one and see red!  LOL   AND believe me, I do like red....but...wow!

I bet you were "seeing red" after doing 3 stories with that!

I agree that the "extremely poor" repair job is going to affect the value of this piece....most people like to keep items "in their natural state" and many would have preferred rusty holes than botched repairs!

Still...all isn't a loss....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »
The wallpaper only went up 10 feet then had a wainscotting. Top part was painted a cream color and ended in the cupola above !!  Had a monstrous chandelier hanging from the cupola to just above the wallpaper !!  It was really pretty in a bordello sort of way !!  Whoever installed the chandelier did not wire it in to actually light up so my older brother who is a finish carpenter and  I had to get a scaffold to work on it so it actually lit up !!  Chandelier itself was over 5 ft. across !!  Wasn`t an old one but did fit with the Victorian theme !!   This lady was a bit strange !!  She actually dressed in the period !!  Once she had a "butter churning party " ??????  Never did figure that one out !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:16 pm »
...This lady was a bit strange !!  She actually dressed in the period !!  Once she had a "butter churning party " ??????  Never did figure that one out !!

LOL that is probably going to be me in my old age!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 06:21:15 pm »
...This lady was a bit strange !!  She actually dressed in the period !!  Once she had a "butter churning party " ??????  Never did figure that one out !!

I was going to say that sounds like something I would go to for fun.  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:21:01 pm »

LOL  This lady was in her 30`s !!  Thats what was strange !!