Author Topic: Napkin rings from 1899  (Read 2112 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Napkin rings from 1899
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:29:40 am »
Almost put these in a garage sale! Anyway, i had no problem with the makers mark, but just wondering what the value might ne of a pair of Napkin Rings from 1899?

Maker is Richard Richardson, has the sheffield mark, lion passant mark, and stylized g from 1899. SOrry, I can't seem to capture a good shot of the maker's mark. Have included an overall shot.

Checking online, pricing is anywhere from $10 to $200, so I want to be careful not to give them away, and also not to overprice them. Fairly plain design, so I do not expect much.

Thanks
Hudsonhacker

bob535

• View Profile
Re: Napkin rings from 1899
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:07:11 pm »
If i were going to put these on ebay, i would start them off at 25.00 and see where they go. by looking at the completed listings on napkin rings from 1899:

-Eight were recently listed and ended.

-Out of the eight only one of them did not sell, and it was started at 54.95.

-The one that went for the least amount of money was 26.84.

-The highest went for 146.85 (for a pair).

-All of them had some nice designs on them.

-All but the highest priced one were sold as single rings.

But this is just what I would do....and I am far from an expert at appraising, but I do ebay.....and this is the way i would go about it, if i could not find any more info.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:09:07 pm by bob535 »

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »
Thanks

May try ebay for these. Do not usually EBAY stuff, but since I do not have a lot invested in these , worth a shot.

Paul

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:28:44 pm »
I  agree with Bob !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:19:42 am »
I've bought and sold quite a few napkin rings over the years. There are a number of obvious factors that determine how much you can expect to get  such as: a collectible silversmith/retailer, the premium that can come with a Chester Hallmark, the weight, how crisp the marks are, damage-free, design, weight, whether it is monogrammed (some initials can enhance the value quite dramatically if you have two bidders with those initials, just think how much it would cost to have the engraving done nowadays) , whether there is a pair and whether or not in original box.

I have made handsome profits, frequently doubling my money on many of them. The ones that have made me the greatest profits have been ones that I've bought at local auctions, cleaned up and sold on ebay ... and also ones that I've picked up for a snip on ebay and then sold on ebay for a nice profit. The ones that I have often targeted in the past have been poorly photographed ones, that haven't been cleaned and and even ones which seem to have a small 'ding' or 'dings' but with no mention in the description. I polished them, took very nice, clear photos, gave full description including reference to any minor imperfections, and generally achieved top dollar. Good photos are very important when selling, poor photos can benefit a speculative buyer .. So take good shots of your napkin rings, including a clear one of the hallmarks. Use a background that complements silver, the brown leather makes them look tarnished and 'thin' .....  Good Luck!

ps

I have always started my listings at £4.99, maybe because I could not bear to have them go for 0.99! But it is still a low enough starting price to keep people interested. I've often seen napkin rings that have a starting price which reflects their scrap value and often they go unsold, or get the one bid.But that is only my opinion, you need to have a starting price that you feel comfortable with.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:30:15 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:12:14 am »
Was hoping you would chime in on some of this silver stuff ,,Mario !!  We have had quite a bit lately !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:26:38 am »
I agree with the above suggestions about starting out a higher value on Ebay than .99

The joy about it is that you can always try again.  I have seen pieces listed at .99 that never sold and watched while the owner raised the starting bid to $30 and it became a bidding frenzy.  There is often doubt (from uninformed and skeptics) that a valued piece can go for .99 (obviously not the "I want to get a great deal" group here).  So amy think that if it is of value it must start at a higher value.  I have friends that own antique shops and sell "junky" antiques like crazy for insane prices using this principal.  Makes me scratch my head.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:11 am »
I have seen people state in forums, and in 1 on 1 conversation, that they find it hard to bid on something of value, that has a starting price of .99. The reasoning behind it, is they feel like if it were what they were stating it is, then why would they start it off at such a low price....although it might be real, the price scares them.  :'(

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:52:27 am »
I have said the same many times !!  Most people equate price with quality !! !! Raise the price if you are a serious seller and want decent bids !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:09 am »
   Good point mart, just make sure it is quality first.  I tend to find the overall value of the item.  Start a wee bit higher, and as I have to repost, I drop my price.  When it falls into the .99 value and not sales, it gets bumped and goes to the rummage sale pile.