Author Topic: Glass stuff.  (Read 6858 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Glass stuff.
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:45:17 pm »
The first pictures are of what I think is called an open compote. I put this up years ago and was told that it COULD be a George Duncan and Sons but that there are many fakes out there. It stands a smidgen over 7 7/8 inches and 7 1/4 across. I was shocked to see how all the scratching showed up in the picture, it's barely noticeable when I look at it. Then I see it sure could use a good cleaning!  Sorry  :(

I keep modifying this! This seems to have a few names: Three graces, three faces and I read one called three sisters.

Hubby's great aunt came from a rough and tumble family but married into a wealthy family. I imagine these were well used. I remember coming here in my late teens to help her at family gatherings and trying to be so careful with her things. She used to laugh at me saying: What's the point of having it, if you don't use it. If something gets broken, oh well.

The next one (the bowl) doesn't look very old. Vintage maybe? I have read if glass has a line up it, it can't be very old. Is this something I could safely part with?
It's a bit over 6 3/4 tall. 5 1/4 diameter. (inches)

The cake or pastry stand doesn't look old at all (to me). I am keeping it anyway because I bake. It has to be over 24 years because that is how long I have been coming to the house.
It's a bit over 6 3/4 inches tall and 9 3/8 inches in diameter.

Just want to see if I am learning here (on the right track at least).

Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:57:01 pm by snowflake »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Glass stuff.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:46:35 pm »
more:

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:54:17 pm »
That's magnificent! What are you talking about. It looks like lalique. I'll check.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:51:39 pm »
The one pattern reminds me of my crystal set of glasses. I found out from replacements.com what the pattern was and I forgot. I'll have to check.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:15:56 pm »
Thanks, greenacres. I keep forgetting about that replacement site. It's a great one except for all the ones with no photo! I'll head there now.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »
The one cake plate could be called "Lariat". You could check that tto.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:37:48 pm »
Your compote ?

http://website.nbm-mnb.ca/Hetherington/catalogue1.htm

"Open Compote, American, after 1878
George Duncan & Sons, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pattern: Three-Face
frosted pressed glass; 21 x 20 cm
Gift of Anna Harding Hetherington, 1951 (A51.36.1)

Also known as Duncan No. 400, Three Sisters, Three Graces, and Three Fates. This was one of the most popular patterns of the period. The model was long thought to be Elizabeth Bair, the wife of John Miller, who registered the patent in 1878. This is an example of the use of controlled acid etching, which meant only the patterned areas are exposed to the acid. This technique is commonly known as ‘frosting.'  "

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »
I wonder if it's possible that yours also had a cover? Seems a lot of the Three Faces are attributed to George Duncan & Sons, 1878 - 1890 (scroll down page).

Corning Museum of Glass

http://collection.cmog.org/detail.php?t=objects&type=browse&f=maker&s=George+Duncan+%26+Sons&record=9#.TnEUD81BLIg

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »
Valuing 'Three Face' pieces.....

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/lifestyle/columnists/x1353433653/Valuing-Three-Face-pieces

"This pattern was produced by Duncan until the factory burned down in 1892, and all the original molds for this pattern were destroyed in the conflagration.

Duncan made a wide variety of items in this pattern. There were several sizes of cake stands, sugar bowls, creamers and other pitchers, celery vases, covered compotes, open compotes, butter dishes, lamps, stems (goblets, champagnes, clarets, wines), salt dips and salt shakers - among other things.

Reportedly, this pattern was reproduced as early as the late 1930s, and in the '40s and '50s there was a virtual flood of ersatz "Three Face" pieces that continued into the '60s and '70s. These reproductions can be recognized (as a general rule) by the poor mold work that is lacking the sharp detail of the originals, and by the color of the glass, which is often grayish or even yellowish. All colored pieces are reproductions."

This might also be helpful......

Reproductions - An Educational Study

http://www.pressedglassandgoblets.com/articles/threeface.shtml

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »
LOL! I was just posting this:

Thank you both. I did a lot of digging over the Duncan and have lots of info on it. It's just that I was told there are many fakes. So, could mine be a fake?
If there ever was a cover, it is long gone.  :(

I found a cake stand very similar to mine except that it is amber.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAPG-Raised-Lace-Edge-Pedestal-Cake-Stand-Rare-AMBER-Coop-Flint-Glass-c-1920-/200652256448?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D230658503910%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2782147799595465770

Does that mean mine is Flint glass?  All the other ones I see have some kind of design in the middle, where this is plain.

...and it warned me of another reply. 

Thanks a bunch!!!!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 03:30:22 pm »
I like the Duncan pattern. Thanks for the education sapphire.You learn something new everyday. On the site it's more than once a day, lol.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »
I think mine is detailed. The eyes look like the real thing. Am I safe in saying it is the real McCoy? It's a keeper, regardless!
Now I am off to hunt down the bowl! No luck at replacements with the cake stand.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:05:23 pm »
The bowl shaped compote has a very similar design to this Heisey piece.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/56757830/vintage-heisey-syrup-pitcher-wmetal-lid?ref=sr_gallery_37&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_search_query=heisey&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

Going to look into it...

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »
I found the cake stand! A Flint. I can't believe it. Go me!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAPG-Cooperative-Flint-Glass-Cake-Stand-44-Pattern-/260805185844

EAPG Cooperative Flint Glass Cake Stand #44 Pattern. Sold for 64.99. (Just jotting this down for recording sake.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:16:29 pm by snowflake »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:56:02 pm »
You are good. Nice persistance!