Author Topic: antique Wilcox quadruple plated vase... info needed  (Read 1844 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
antique Wilcox quadruple plated vase... info needed
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:57:29 am »
Hello again folks. My sister is downsizing my late Grandma's house and she was gonna give this away so i grabbed it. its marked "Quadruple Plated Wilcox Silver Plate Co" I know that its pre 1900's because its marked "quadruple plated", and that Wilcox is a name collectors look for, but thats all I know about it. Can someone please shed some light on my find?? Any significance to the "100" serial number? I havent seen one that low.Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:06:49 pm by JoshandLila »
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: antique Wilcox quadruple plated vase... info needed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »
    Nice piece, I would say that the date is about right.  Wilcox was a silverplate company in the late 1800's or victorian era.   One thing I wanted to point out is the words Quadruple plate does not mean pre 1900's many other companies marked and used the words Quad plate even used today.  As for Wilcox being a high collector trademark, is not necessary the case either.  That is a much rarer and harder to find trademark, not like the flood of international, or Onieda name, but not a sought after like the Reed and Barton name.  As for the number 100 meaning older, could be the case, but I have seen some this low, but These pattern numbers in many cases was used for many years, and would be hard to date based on the pattern number.  The only other thing to make a point on is Silverplate items tend to move really good as far as sells, but usually for low $$.00 at the most, so much silverplate items out there that the market is over saturated in general.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:12:15 pm »
Style is more Deco than Victorian !!  I am guessing this is late 20`s early 30`s !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:23:40 pm »
thanks for the info. I had done some Googling and had read that Wilcox only labeled their piece's "quadruple plate" from 1858 to 1902 so thats why I figured it was pre 1900, unless that info was wrong ( which it could be.. this is the internet after all). I know silverplated is usually no big deal, just thought it might have some age.. and it seems really heavy for as small as it is.. still a nice little piece and the price was right lol.. thanks all
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:59:10 am »
No matter its age its still a nice vase and well worth keeping !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 10:11:05 am »
I agree it was worth the save.  I love it!!

It does look deco but that style was creeping into design long before it hayday in the 20's/30's. To me and my VERY untrained eye, this would have been right at home with mission style furniture or Craftman type architecture which was coming into popularity around turn of the century.

ETA: After further googling...  A better term for the style maybe Arts and Crafts - much of which looks deco to me  ;D -  but would certainly fit into your time frame.

ETA (again): After even more googling, I'm finding similar styles listed under trophy or trophy vase...  Another avenue of possibility  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:12:51 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey