Author Topic: Antique Buttons  (Read 4969 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Antique Buttons
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:41:38 pm »
This is an interesting story. My husband rehabed a house from the turn of the century. In it he found this tin with an article. It also had some buttons. I sold one. I think to cheap.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Buttons
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »
buttons What do you think. I read about the company. They have been around since 1820.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »
I just found them on Bing. They are worth $4.50 ea. They are miltary buttons. I want figure out what the seller means by vintage. It's a shame because the one I sold said 1865 on the back. Oh, well  http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=U.S.+Military+Buttons+by+scokv9ll+mfg&view=detail&id=2487C42B95AB8059DF760FE53B75165D74A526FB&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR I still want to find the other style.
 I found this next.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=U.S.+Military+Buttons&view=detail&id=ECF07A1943158D67A1596626807D43D95B58A358&first=90&qpvt=U.S.+Military+Buttons&FORM=IDFRIR
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:02:14 pm by greenacres »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:31:22 pm »
These are really neat, greenacres! And to get the little newspaper clipping too. What a great find. I remember taking up a what ever flooring was in one of rooms here and finding it lined with newspaper. That made my day. It wasn't really old, but old enough to make it a cool find.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
I like finding a little treasures. I get so excited when my husband brings things home. There are times where we had to leave things behind. Or at least that's what he says, lol. Oh, it was to big to fit out the door. Sure it was and then I keep asking why? Figure it out, lol I drive him crazy, lol, but he really finds some cool things. That gets me more excited the buying things I know what they are.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »
Great find !!  Hang on to those buttons some are worth good money !! Know what you have before selling them !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »
Thanks mart, I'm so sorry I sold the one.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:31:49 am »
I've dug a lot of these from private property adjoining a Civil War battlefield with a metal detector.  Some were marked Scoville on the back along with Horstman & Sons etc.  I think (subject to correction) that Indian Wars buttons also were made by these companies. Once I found one at the side of my porch, and one in the 160 acres behind my house.  Only inches from the one dug at the side of my porch was an Indian Head penny with the date 187__.  There was a tiny hole drilled thru the last digit, probably used as a watch fob. It must have been made of bronze.  It could have been the valuable one from 1874 (I think thats the date) it had turned green, but now I'll never know.  Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 07:59:57 am »
The things we think of after the fact!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »
Very cool find! Yeah Civil War collectors love the buttons and you can get more for those.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:14 pm »
If I were you I would go over my property inch by inch !! Great finds anyway !!

I've dug a lot of these from private property adjoining a Civil War battlefield with a metal detector.  Some were marked Scoville on the back along with Horstman & Sons etc.  I think (subject to correction) that Indian Wars buttons also were made by these companies. Once I found one at the side of my porch, and one in the 160 acres behind my house.  Only inches from the one dug at the side of my porch was an Indian Head penny with the date 187__.  There was a tiny hole drilled thru the last digit, probably used as a watch fob. It must have been made of bronze.  It could have been the valuable one from 1874 (I think thats the date) it had turned green, but now I'll never know.  Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 06:05:09 pm »
Try a gygercounter! I've always wanted to try one of those things.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »
You mean metal detector ??

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 06:29:35 pm »
lol Yes the whatchamacallit.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 05:36:32 pm »
Mart - I (we) only own one and a half acres but there is 160 acres belonging to my neighbor.  He's been a great neighbor and I gave him the Indian Wars button that I found on his property at his birthday party.  I actually have covered a lot of the acre and a half, in one spot to the side of the driveway I found 37 Lincoln pennies (not wheat) in a square foot area.  There is the foundation of an old barn just east of our house and I'm going to explore that next.  Be advised that there is an awful lot of digging that turns out to be nuts and bolts etc.  Be careful what you wish for!