Author Topic: G. Weeton MFG Co. Warranted 0212  (Read 6703 times)

asteriastar

G. Weeton MFG Co. Warranted 0212
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:26:32 pm »
I have been searching for information on an antique I have made from the company listed in the subject. I got it from the flea market, it's tarneshed alot and I'm trying to clean it up. I'll post up a photo later of it, but has anyone heard of this company or know anything about it? Even if you know maybe what country the company is from? I got it in Canada.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: G. Weeton MFG Co. Warranted 0212
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:41:21 pm »
   Welcome to the forum asteriastar, are we talking a Silver or silverplate item?

asteriastar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:45:47 pm »
Silver Plated as far as I can tell, I used some toothpaste to try and clean it up since that seems to work on silver plated items, I attached two pictures to my reply to show you. Don't know what year it could be from or anything, so any help on the items information would be great! Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:40:54 pm »
How big is this piece ??  Toothpaste might be too abrasive for silverplate !!

asteriastar

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »
7 inches wide and 4 inches high using a tape measure.. i've tried the toothpaste and its taking some off but not all.. it looks like the person who had this item last had something really hot in it because it seems to be caked on.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »
    Most likely a Dish Holder of some sort, would of originally had a glass insert.  For sure if it is silverplate you will want to get a polish to clean it.  The scroll work will be really hard and almost impossible to throughly clean.  It may just be that this item has a century of tarnish on it, and not actually cooked on.   If you take on the task of cleaning the scroll work on it, you will want to spend some time cleaning it throughly, half cleaned scroll work will not me that good looking.  As a warning do not use the Silver cleaning dip, this can ruin silverplate and Antique items.  Is it possible to get pics of the hallmark, this might lead to a better conclusion as to maker and date.   

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 07:14:45 pm »
I'm thinking you're looking for a Canadian maker. Very little so far, but came across this from the Greater Sudbury Historical Society.....

http://216.223.90.51:81/search/o?SEARCH=fm0247en

Cream and Sugar Holders - silver creamer and sugar bowl holder - words written are "Best Wishes" - made by G. Weeton Mfg. Co.

Source        Artifact.
                 Flour Mill Museum
Format    Artifact - City of Greater Sudbury Heritage Museums Collection.
Keywords    Located at Flour Mill Museum.
Subject   Cream and Sugar Holders.
                Kitchen Utensils.
                Flour Mill Museum.
                Sudbury (Ont.).

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 07:40:35 pm »
Another piece in a museum in Chicoutimi (Que.)

http://www.pro.rcip-chin.gc.ca/bd-dl/artefacts-eng.jsp?emu=en.artefacts:/Proxac/newImgWin.jsp&currLang=English&i=0&j=4

On Worthpoint, a butter dish.........dated 1870-1890. Don't know where their info came from, but still looking

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/stunning-rare-antique-victorian-silver-butter-dish

asteriastar

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »
The stamp on the bottom of the piece

asteriastar

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 08:32:12 pm »
I also have a pair of grape shears that i'm curious on dates of, not from the same company.. they are silver plated grape shears made from Elegance silverware in Richmond Hill, Ontario.. from the looks of it the buisness is no longer operating.. the box was still taped as if nobody had ever used them, and there was still a sticker on the grape shears.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:39:49 pm »
What does the sticker on the scissors say? I'm not far From Richmond hill. Wondering if it was imported by them? Just because there are a lot of warehouses there that import and sell loads of things. I could be wrong.

asteriastar

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 08:44:05 pm »
"Elegance (R) Silver Plated Zinc" it came out of a box with other old things including some other antique silver plated and sterling silver things from other companies like Community & Birks Sterling. Also have some silver plated and sterling silver items from Rogers, Kent and other companies as well..

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:45:26 pm »
Can't wait to see them! I'll keep searching for more info.

asteriastar

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:43:18 am »
Any best recommendations for cleaning and polishing up silver plated things? Like the one in this post the really tarnished one, I want to get it cleaned.. but the two things I've tried barley do anything.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 08:36:49 am »
For difficult tarnish,, buy a bottle of good silver polish !!  Its not expensive and will save extra work and will not take the plating off as some things will !!