Author Topic: WHat are these vases called? Driving me nuts!  (Read 4300 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
WHat are these vases called? Driving me nuts!
« on: September 17, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »
 ???For no other reason than it is driving me crazy! I do not own one, do not want one, am not looking to rent one! I was surfing and saw a picture of this type of vase, but do not know what they are called. Normally, something like this would not bother me, but for some reason this is really getting under my skin! Help!

Thxs
Hudsonhacker

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: WHat are these vases called? Driving me nuts!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »
yah , well ....

they sure are ugly-children !

Hope your skin irritation will heal soon !!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:19:38 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:21:48 pm »
Not Fair! I saw someone reply and you make fun of me! Agggghhhhhhhh, this is really driving me cuckoo! What are they called??????????? ??? ??? ???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:22:23 pm »
Only got a glimpse before the pic disappeared but they appear to be pitchers for lack of a better word !!  This style was made in most all middle eastern countries !! Used for serving tea ect !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »
My oldest son , when first learning to talk , called these types of things "Giraffes" .....

:D

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:33:35 pm »
Ewer, I think. I am almost embarrassed to say I like them.  :-[

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »
I think thats right snowflake !!  I was working my brain hard to think of the right word !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 04:37:26 pm »
Yes those would be Called Ewers, actually looks like someone made them out of Lamps.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »
Ewer so right , ironlord1963 !

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 05:13:44 pm »
Thank you! Ewers! Now I can go back to obsessing about something else! What a relief! I think I need to get a life.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:00:30 pm »
OH MY! It was watching a car crash; you really do not want to, but you do it anyway. Yes, I bought the ugly ewers! Now, to figure out what to resell them for, because my girlfriend's first words when I brought them into the house were, "You'd better be selling those things!".

Anyway, I have taken a few pictures, see below.

The hand painting on the porcelain is very nicely done. The metalwork is very nice, right down to the inside of the spout being decorated. No maker's mark at all. I have checked ebay, Ruby Lane, etc., and figure Will price these at around $200 for the pair. Is that in the ballpark? ???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:35:23 pm »
How tall are they ??  If small enough you might pass them off as oil and vinegar cruets  !! Would be lucky to get $30. for the pair around here !!  But give it a shot,,,you never know !!  Have you checked ebay`s prices ??  I am not talking about starting price,, I mean actual selling price !!  I have found that it is the best way to see what people are actually buying and for how much !!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:57:38 pm »
They stand 12" tall. Checked online with ebay, but I find Ruby Lane is far more helpful for pricing things. Ebay has so many things on there that just are not bid on, and the ones that are bid on are just the cheaply priced items. Ruby lane is representative of what people are selling things in the brick and mortar antique stores, so I find it helps more than ebay does. There are no similar items on ebay under auction only, but under BIN they range from $75 to $225 each. So, ebay really is all over the place. Info on Ruby Lane shows a number of similar pieces, all priced in a tighter range of $91 to $125 each. I will give it a shot online, and if that does not bring in offers, I will take it down to one of the local antique stores to see if there is a market for them. Hey, I live in Montreal, if there is one thing we have an abundance of it is antique stores! Sure, selling to a dealer means a lower sales price, but sometimes it is about maximizing cash flow , not maximizing profit. If I can turn them at a good profit in a timely fashion I am happy, and since I paid very little for these, profit level will still be good.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 01:31:52 pm »
Give it a shot !! Since I am in Texas you can expect a price difference !!  Some things that do not sell well where you are can go off the wall here !!  It just depends !!  Let us know what the antique shops say and what you get for them !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »
     Looking at the new pics posted, it appears they are not hollow, and just made to look like Ewers, is this correct.  Still looks like someone married the items together, this would for sure affect value.