Author Topic: Desk from bedroom set. What kind of wood is it?  (Read 5496 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Desk from bedroom set. What kind of wood is it?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 08:15:40 am »
For insurance purposes it would be a bit more,,and much would depend on your selling area as far as value !!  I am going by what a similar set would sell for in my area/state !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 09:45:17 am »
All the pieces are in good shape. The tall dresser has a chip at the bottom. That's the only one with anything wrong. I even managed to find the one handle that was missing from the desk! Thank goodness they didn't paint it. Hubby's Great Aunt told me when paint got popular, she got tired of all the wood in the house so she had everything painted white at one time! Then years later, she regretted doing so and had a few things stripped and brought back to the original wood. She even painted all the oak trim, moulding and french doors white!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:36:37 am by snowflake »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 10:18:46 am »
That happened a lot !!  I know !! When i had my shop I also did restoration and I can`t remember the number of  beautiful pieces that had white paint on them !!  Many had layers of several colors but last one was always white !! You know I had fun digging paint out of all those cracks without ruining the wood !!  They were a pain to do !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 10:44:05 am »
I can imagine! Ugh! Ever come across that stuff they call ox blood. I think that is what it was called. I tried doing my stairs and gave up. It was all gunky and I swear three steps took almost the whole can of remover! I gave up and painted them back to black.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 05:12:52 pm »
Never ran across that unless it was the same stuff they used to paint barns with !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »
I have to agree around 1920's to early 1940's.  Burled wood....but not sure of the exact wood due to spray finish and the picture quality.

Agree with everyone elses' comments!  Nice!

Enjoy!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 10:01:30 am »
Thanks, so much for all your replies. I still want to get a photo of the dresser up with the little compartment in the top drawer. I'll try to get a clearer picture of the wood. There are a bunch of options on the camera but I've never bother to stray from the 'auto focus'.   ;)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:05:22 am »
Macro is GREAT for close-ups
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey