Author Topic: The Subject of "Reticule" ;-)  (Read 1413 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
The Subject of "Reticule" ;-)
« on: September 18, 2011, 06:07:09 pm »
I made some neat finds I made at the Vintage Clothing Expo http://www.vintageexpo.com/ today. Most of what was there was later than the costuming I do. There were a few Victorian hats (pricey) and a few lovely Victorian dresses (too small and fragile) but then I found these- Three antique Victorian reticules (draw-string purses) These were used back in the days when women did not need purses because when they went shopping they would put everything on account and their husbands would pay the bill. They didn't carry money, so all they needed was a tiny satchel around the wrist for a key and a few personal items. These pre-date purses.

Looking at what antique reticules run, I did pretty well (The two beaded ones were $25 each, the crocheted one was $30) Similar ones on Ebay look to be going for considerably more, starting at about $60 and going up from there, so I'm pleased with that. (They do make reproductions for historic reenactors that are less.) All three of these are in great shape, nice and sturdy.

This one is covered in glass beads, under the loupe I can see a lot of varition in the sizes and shapes of the beads. the drawstring is threaded through tiny wooden rings (one metal replacement ring at the bottom appears to have been added later) Under the loupe these look like they are oak with dark walnut stain on them. They are definitely hand carved. I can see tool marks all over them and there is a lot of variation. In the photo below the metal ring is at the bottom and the others are wood.

This one is also covered in tiny glass beads, and the drawstrings are run through a crocheted top. Like the one above, there is a lot of variation in the beads when you look at them under a loupe. Like the one above they are definitely glass, much cooler to the touch than plastic would be.

This last one is crocheted. I love the tiny "acorn" dangles, which are also crocheted. The whole piece is lined on the inside and in really great shape. I put my hand in with this one so that you can get an idea of how big these are:

Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
Re: The Subject of "Reticule" ;-)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:11:24 pm »
Nice find, Tales !!! Love the beaded one !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:29:46 pm »
What a great catch! I can imagine the countless hours of work that went into them! And I learned a new word..Reticule. Love the title.  ;)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »
LOVE them...  I never carry a purse. Once, in my 20's I carried one for a few months, put everything in it that was important to me then promptly lost it!  Have never carried one since.  However, when we go out to formal functions, I do carry a small clutch since my "little black dress" doesn't have pockets  ;D

These would look fab  ;D  I'm jealous!!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:05:12 pm »
They are great! I love them. It must have been a great time.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:35:11 pm »
Thanks, it was an interesting expo. Most of the stuff was vintage 1940's and 1950's, but there were some Victorian things here and there. Most people seemed to be there for 1940's and the Victorian stuff wasn't getting much attention, so I think that is why these reticules were priced like they were.
Antiqueaholic in recovery