Author Topic: Antique Strong Box?  (Read 3352 times)

Snapper

• View Profile
Antique Strong Box?
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:58 pm »
Can anyone tell me if this is a strong box. Maybe an antique ballot box? It's only about 11" square. Key is long gone. Would love to know how old it is or anything else about it. Thanks!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Antique Strong Box?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:25:18 pm »
Your item appears to be an instrument case , Snapper , IMO ; perhaps for a transit / sextant / & so on .... looks like yours has been around for a good while too !

It's got lots of character , I think !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:08 pm »
fancypants, I thought the same thing (compass) but then the more I look at it....

Snapper, is that a metal lined inside?

Never seen one for transit with metal lining in a wooden box.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:19 pm »
I was thinking that there had been a base 'pad' (&/or a full liner) @ one time , now missing , i/s of the box , covering the currently exposed wood & strappings .

One can see spots for retaining/holding items , used in conjuntion with the mystery item that once was held in the big box , on the i/s lid surface .

I hope it wasn't portable headgear for 'Old Sparky' !
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:32:20 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Snapper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:41:14 am »
Thanks everyone. KC, the inside of the lid is reinforced with metal in the area behind the metal (cast iron?) on the other side. Same thing on the inside behind the locking area. The only other metal on the inside is the hardware. What I don't get is, what could be so fragile and/or important to require such a strong, locked box? Gold, money? This is why I thought it may be some sort of strong box, like what you'd see on a stage coach. Maybe someones personal safe for travel? I dunno. Just a thought? Anyone want to guess what era?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:48 am »
I am guessing early 1800`s from hardware/metalwork,,if well lined maybe TNT for a mining operation ????  No clue really !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »
I know they used to carry spices in locked boxes that were waterproof.....even tobacco.  AND back then it was very valuable.  In addition, medicinals......
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:50:50 am »
Sugar and Salt were worth a lot of money in those days. I think it was the sugar they kept locked up.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:32 am »
Your box appears to me to have been used to hold a mechanical “recording” device to prevent any tampering with it or whatever ….. except by someone who was authorized to do so.   

What I mean is, me thinks the “device” was placed in the box by the “boss”, who then closed the lid, and the latch, and then locked it with a key (1st pic left).

Then to active the “device”, an employee or whoever would grasp hold of the end “link” of that chain ….. and insert the straight portion or “pin” into the half-round “slot” in the metal plate that said chain is affixed to (2nd pic left).

The “pin” would extend thru the lid (1st pic right) and make contact with said “device” …… and by moving said “pin” to the left or right in said slot …… the “device” would record that motion. Or something to that effect.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 06:13:14 am »
I wondered about that slot as well,, but what, and for what purpose in that time period ??   Ideas ???

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:43:57 am »
I seriously LOVE this box! I think that it is pre-1860-ish. I have no idea what it is though.  :-\  Are you going to sell it or keep it?

Snapper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 08:17:54 am »
Sorry hosman, this is probably one of my FAVORITE antiques. My family has always to referred to it as the "ballot box" but I have never been able to confirm that, hence the post here. I believe that my grandfather brought this from Europe but I'm not sure. Thanks everyone for your input...keep it coming.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
That's ok, it never hurts to ask! I wish I had cool stuff like that passed down in my family. I think I only have 1 item that has been passed down and that's a plain ol' buffet from the 20s. Keep it in the family! :)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:11 pm »
I can't help, but what a great piece. I love it! That's my type of antique!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 02:41:46 pm »
as the "ballot box"

That sounds like a winner.

Write on your piece of paper, fold it, push it down the slot and poke it with that "pin" iffen it drop thru.

There were lots n' lots n' lots of clubs, orders, lodges, etc., etc., during the 1800's to mid 1900's and most every one of them conducted "secret" balloting for electing officers and for admitting new members.