Author Topic: Reverse on glass picture  (Read 4080 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Reverse on glass picture
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:51:05 pm »
I posted this ages ago on another site. I think it was DBantiques that said it was kind of unique or something along those lines. (The scene)
I was so upset to find this out in the unheated back kitchen, the paper backing was spotted with mold. The frame damaged. Still I love the scene. I would like to know anything about it. Date? Any value? There are no markings. I guess it would be hard to find out which company made it.

If there is no value, do you think it would be okay to change the paper backing and touch up the frame? Not to sell it, just so it doesn't look so bad.
Thanks in advance!

It always reminded me of Peter Rabbit.

ETA: I forgot the size.
6 1/2 x 8 1/2 (inches)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:38:18 pm by snowflake »

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Reverse on glass picture
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
Christopher Robin???

I'm not good with paintings  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:58:24 pm »
I wonder...,that would be great if it was Christopher Robin! I've been searching this one for years! Never had any luck.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:58:01 pm »
My first thought was Christopher Robin as well.....  This style of pic is back and very popular!!!  Especially with all the interest in silhouettes being re-sparked!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:33:20 am »
I don`t think it would hurt a bit to touch up the frame !!  Thats not where the value is on this one !! Even though not big bucks, they are unique !! I probably would not change the paper behind the silouette because that is the way the artist intended it so I would leave it as is,, even with a little damage !!  If you decide that it is damaged enough to change it,, try to get as close to the original color as possible and be careful removing it as they sometimes adhere to the glass and will take off paint as well !! If it has stuck and doesn`t fall away easily,, better leave it !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:17 pm »
I agree that it looks VERY much like the traditional Christopher Robin illustrations  -- the ones in the book, not the Disney version.  The perspective is similar to many drawings of CR in the Hundred Acre Woods.  But who are the characters? -- the only flop-eared character I remember is Eyeore -- but then, what's that Giant-Squid shaped thing at left????

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:40:12 pm »
A rat. Maube it's Peter Rabbit!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 04:29:59 pm »
Thanks, so much everyone! This picture has me intrigued. I'm off to look up the old Christopher Robin books, thanks CC!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »
The figure looks to me to be a boy scout with one bunny ears up & one ears down.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:44:20 pm »
or a mouse.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:47 pm »
Here's the Hundred Acre Wood gang playing pooh sticks.

And the classic pooh-sticks image from the books:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:20:22 am by CuriousCollector »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56:10 pm »
I'll make the Christopher Robin vote unanimous  ;)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:42 am »
Cool Books Saph!!  He could be holding piglet in his hand (tho it looks like a hand puppet and I don't think he was ever a puppet). As an aside, thought I'd give you a laugh.  Found this at Wiki when researching. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roo

A tongue-in-cheek psychological study of Roo was published in the year 2000,[4][5] by pediatricians at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. This Canadian team was following the trend of analyzing famous art works, to point out that even wonderful people can have disorders.[6] Reuters reported as follows about the Canadian study:

The researchers said they are especially worried about baby Roo, who is growing up in a single-parent household and whose closest friend, Tigger, is not a good role model.  "We predict we will someday see a delinquent, jaded, adolescent Roo hanging out late at night at the top of the forest, the ground littered with broken bottles of extract of malt and the butts of smoked thistle," the article said.[6]

[/b]
Poor Roo!  :(
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 09:40:10 am »
Dont cha` wonder if these people have nothing better to do than analyzing kids books !!  LOL

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:27 am »
Dont cha` wonder if these people have nothing better to do than analyzing kids books !!  LOL

You can get a Ph.D in Children's Literature these days.  It's a subset of the normal English degree.  I have several friends who took their Ph.D with that emphasis -- I always envied them reading very short books with small words and lots of pictures!  Meanwhile, I'm reading the entire canon of Native American literature, while they are reading Dr. Seuss and "The Tale of Tom Kitten".