Author Topic: Black Americana Pottery Figurines  (Read 1628 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Black Americana Pottery Figurines
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »
Hi all!  I'm going to Part 2 of an auction this weekend, and in Part 1 there were some Black Americana ceramic figurines that flew up to between $75-$300+ and sold before I could blink an eye.  I wasn't sure if they sold at those prices because of certain types of collectors that were there and just happened to want them, or if they were actually worth that.

So here is a photograph of one of the items that will be sold in part 2, and I'm trying to better prepare myself ahead of time with an idea of price range on certain things so I can set my limits and be more knowledgeable...I know it's not much to go by and just a small photo (front and side view) but if part 1 of this auction was any indication, this will be sought after and I want to make sure I know what it really could be worth.  I looked at similar style ceramic figurines and such, and there seems to a majority in the low (under $20) price range and a only certain few (like a $1500 cookie jar) that command much higher.  Any advice on this piece or how to distinguish the higher value items in this genre would be much appreciated!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Americana Pottery Figurines
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:39:39 am »
Before you go bidding on items you really need to take time and learn about Black Americana items.  There are fakes out there as well.  Overall, they are VERY collectible (true vintage/antique ones).  Not all collectible means big $$$$$.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:28 am »
Yes, I try to do the research ahead of time before bidding but it's not always possible...sometime s it is live auctions and photos or details aren't available prior.  In this case, I wasn't actually planning on bidding those at the first auction but I just meant if I'd had a chance or knew about the items I might not have gotten a peep in anyhow because people jumped on those pieces like hotcakes, which naturally aroused my curiousity.  So for this time around I'm just curious if anyone recognizes anything about this piece, as well as any advice is greatly appreciated to assist in my general knowledge of these types of items!  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:21:19 am »
What size and did they give a maker ??  Small pieces like this usually bring $20. or less but if there were few produced and by a known maker/mfr. price can climb !! I don`t recognize it offhand but pics are not the best !!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:49 pm »
Thanks, mart!  No, they didn't give a size or maker, I will see it this weekend (from a distance, I'm sure), I think I'll just let others bid on this one.  I was just kinda curious.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:25:37 pm »
I think thats a very wise decision !! As a rule any time you put people against each other "as in bidding war"  price will not be what anyone will spend for that item outside of the auction house !! Even junk stuff will go higher than normal !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:37:55 pm »
Totally agree mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!