Author Topic: small pendulum clock.. id needed  (Read 2092 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
small pendulum clock.. id needed
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:24:16 pm »
Hi again folks.. hope Im not posting too much up here but Im really curious about this stuff. I inherited this clock, I was thinking it was from the '40's but im not sure. It has two keys and two key holes on the face. I cant find any markings on it at all, think there used to be a label or on the back but its totally worn away. all the screws were flathead. the middle dial appears to be cast. the etching on the cover is flowers in a vase with flowers going up both sides. Im stumped, any help would be great.. THANKS  :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:39:27 pm by JoshandLila »
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: small pendulum clock.. id needed
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »
heres another pic of the face if that helps any...
H. G. Wells

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:12:29 pm »
Hey J&L ...

Often stampings/jewlers codes , etc. can be found on the actual (metal) clockworks body - not the cabinet in which it's mounted - which can help members when attempting to date your mantle clock .

Is it a fully functioning clock/chime mechanisim ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:47:01 pm »
yes its fully functioning, needs some minor repairs to keep it ticking but the pendulum swings and the chime rings. its also got a secondary bell at the bottom of the chime that has a hammer set to "ding" it... still cant seem to find a mark, but i did find a patent date right behind the center dial that says PAT 1879 ( or 1874, hard to tell ).. so I guess its older than I thought  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:13:06 pm by JoshandLila »
H. G. Wells

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »
As in the previous post , check out the clockworks itself .... sometimes (often) this requires that the works be removed from the clock case , usually by first removing the hands & any 'nut-type' (such as threaded collars , etc.) fasteners holding the clockworks to the face of the clock .
Clockworks will often be wood-screwed to the wood case , so before unscrewing the works , remove the pendulum .

These clocks (generally all clocks with pendulums) should never be shipped , or packed for 'moving' with the pendulum attached , as damages can happen quickly from weighted parts , BTW .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:08:43 pm »
After more deep eye straining I finally found it. Its from Wm L. Gilbert clock co. Started making clocks in 1828 as Gilbert, Marsh and Company, changed to Wm L. Gilbert Clock Co in 1871... I would have never thought of looking for it there, thanks ALOT!! it stays ticking for awhile then stops, im guessing its something in the winding mechanism. I found info, but not a value on mine specifically
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:22:39 pm by JoshandLila »
H. G. Wells

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:44:18 pm »
And another home run for fancypants!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 01:57:24 am »
it stays ticking for awhile then stops,

That is sign it is not sitting level ....... or it needs cleaned n' oiled.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:00 am »
thanks cogar, it definitely needs a good (internal) cleaning and oiling.. hopefully that will fix it. I never would have thought this clock could be as old as it is, it amazes me that everything still looks this good.
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »
We have a closed case pendulum clock that is our major time piece !! About every three years we have to oil ours but since we have a closed face clock we just put some 3 in one oil in a small lid of some sort and place it in the case !!  The oil will evaporate slowly and oil the mechanism !!  Ours does the same as yours when it needs a bit of oil !! You might need to take it to someone and have it professionally done the first time !! I know wrong oil or too much oil can really gunk up the works !!  And Cogar is right,, they must sit/hang perfectly level or they do the same thing as yours !! Run a bit and quit !! Ours hasn`t been moved in 20 years and I am careful dusting it !!