Author Topic: The Sterling American Type Foundry Co. Press?  (Read 1944 times)

moedahobo

• View Profile
The Sterling American Type Foundry Co. Press?
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:06:06 pm »
So classic me...i buy a bundle of stuff at an auction and inside is something i've spent an hour trying to find on google. At first i thought it was a bottle cap press...but then i realized unless the bottle is 2 inches tall no way...I have a press of some sort...similar to a bottle capper but ...It also has some sort of cutting tool on it...and on a nice plate it reads "The Sterling Patented Aug, 1, 1899 mar. 19, 1901 American Type Founders Co" the whole press is screwed down to what apears to be a wooden top to a desk or work bench...I dont have pictures at the moment...but i will..just hoping someone on here knows exactly what this cast iron thing is.
Thanks
Andy

moedahobo

• View Profile
Re: The Sterling American Type Foundry Co. Press?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:22:53 pm »
Picture

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:56:09 am »
American Type Founders (ATF) was a business trust created in 1892 by the merger of 23 type foundries, representing about 85% of all type manufactured in the United States. ATF was the dominant American manufacturer of metal type from its creation in 1892 until at least the 1940s, and continued to be influential into the 1960s. This tells me your piece has something to do with the production of books , pamphlets, print material. Try contacting a print museum like this one  http://www.printmuseum.org/museum/
Good luck & let us know what you find!!!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 08:02:16 am »
can you show a picture of the the contact points on the press, or tell me the size and shape?
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:17:30 pm »
Pretty much looks like an embossing stamper/thingamadohickie .

Printers would monogram their own & ones from artists & such with these cool little machines .

It used to be 'in fashon' for individuals to monogram their collections , esp for later identification of their personal library items .

Could have been used in a shop , studio or other manufacturers , IMO .

Waiting for further info , though ...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:20:26 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

moedahobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »
I appreciate all the input and i contacted the museum at the link provided hopefully they will respond. Here are also the pictures requested.
Thank you Again
Andy

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:25:36 am »
Fancy, I agree totally.  Looks like a stamp/embosser.  Could even be a die cut! 

They used these quite a bit back them - was very prominent.  Stocks, Books, Companies, etc....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!