Author Topic: Brooches and a few other things.  (Read 5252 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Brooches and a few other things.
« on: September 25, 2011, 02:12:24 pm »
I hope these are all vintage. Two of them could be newer. I bought a bag at a rummage sale and they were in it.

The first ones up were here when we bought the house. (Thanks greenacres!)

And you won't hurt my feelings in anyway by being blunt. If they are not worth anything and are junk. Honest. I just like them for the family history.
Wouldn't mind knowing about how old they are though. Value isn't important unless of course there is one that has it!  ;)

I forgot to add:
The bird just has Coro in a rectangle box nothing else.
Pink one says Bond Boyd Stering.
Other than that I see no marks on anything else.

ETA: So far I know Bond Boyd is a Canadian company started in 1940 and is still making jewelry.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:53:20 pm by snowflake »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Brooches and a few other things.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:16:24 pm »
More:

The ugly one was here too! (The guy or whatever it is meant to be. I have no idea)
The other 2 I got in a bag of jewelry at a rummage sale)
The last one is a set of earrings minus the backs! They were here, I plan to make a necklace out of them.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 02:21:45 pm »
This first one I have no idea what it was. The middle comes out of it. The back seems to be missing.
It was here when we bought the house as was (what I was told) the zipper pull.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:44:49 pm »
You have some really nice pieces. I'm going to walk my dogs, and I'll tell you everything when I get back. The suspense, lol
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 02:55:08 pm »
Thanks, greenacres! What? I have to wait? LOL!   ;)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:40:42 pm »
Now, this also depends on who's collecting what these days, so if you try to sell them you would have to start low. The little man pin could be vintage Trifari check the back, Then the big rhinestine brooch, the blue green one, could be Julianna, see if that has markings. That brooch you could get $60-75.00 The bird is a great piece. How big is it? Check to see if it says Trifari or BSK also. I bet you could decent money for that one too! $50-55.00 or more. They are older pieces. Then the two pieces that make one brooch is called a Duet. This might be early Coro or Trifari. If they are signed once again they are worth more. Some would list these for more money than I'm saying, but you be able to sell them. Put up a reserve if totally not sure. You don't see that bird pin often. There are a lot of these pins on ebay, suchas the Julianna. Check the pricing. Earings can be hard to sell sometimes and I don't know much. The hand painted pin does it say anything? The three gold leaves could be Coro or Trifari also check. That could get you at least $45.00 In my books certain pieces can bring a couple of hundreds of dollars such as the bird. I need a little more time to read. Check and see if any are signed while I read and get more info. Oh, the last piece does it say? It looks familiar, but have to check.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:17:40 pm by greenacres »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:07:58 pm »
Beautiful but as greenacres said need to check for makers marks & can  start to help  with value on those, then hunt the ones unmarked. On unmarked ones would need photos of  backs to see how they close as this can help date them  :) here are just a few of mine ;)   (sorry top lot are earrings)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:20:41 pm »
I was posting an update while you two were and didn't read them beforehand.

I am going to do a search. I should have done so before but my brain is tired after being on the computer all week! I was being lazy sorry.
I will double check the pieces and post the backs. Some of them have no back! They have been broken. I am going to fix the though. Most of the things I found here were just tossed into boxes with everything under the sun. They sat for years in an unheated porch.

I'll get back with all the information I find. The bird is 4 7/8 inches long. Thanks, I'll do some digging now while I eat. I really, really appreciate the help.

Wendy, holy! What a stock pile of beauty you have! There should be an off topic thread started where everyone can just show off the jewelry. I would love to see everyone's stash. It's great to have answers and questions. But I'd love to see people's collections that already know the history and value.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
These are only a few. I got addicted. I would read and scan for things I was reading about. I many stop for a little, but like an addict, I would go back., lol It didn't matter the jewelry topic. I have vintage flowers, rhinestones, antique brooches. I just enjoy it. These birds are not as nice as yours.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
I wonder if that bottom piece is Kramer.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
I just love them, greenacres! They are all so beautiful. I could look at stuff like this all day.  ;)
We're in the middle of a movie but I will double check all the pieces with a magnifier when we are done.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:58:11 pm »
New findings: I did post that the Pink rhinestone brooch is a Bond Boyd Sterling. Canadian Company that started in 1940 and is still making jewelry.
I double checked all the pieces.
The bird is by Coro.
The only new finding is the silver one I got at the rummage sale says Western Germany. That would put it between 1949-90. (I checked having learned that I should. Thanks to Ironlord!)

I thought I saw a mark on the man (on an arm) but can't make anything out. Just looks raised a bit but nothing there.

Here are photos of the backs.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 08:00:47 pm »
More:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:02:46 pm by snowflake »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 08:05:28 pm »
I think I got them all now. Haven't been able to find exact ones yet. I'll be busy this coming week, but will try to find out more during the evenings.
Thanks for the help and I'll keep searching!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 04:58:38 pm »
OMG! Wendy I just called dibs on the crystal earrings, bottom right corner!!!  :D

I can't believe I have scoured thousands of ads on ebay looking for a pair to go with my first 'formal' outfit for a wedding in November.  Why do they not make them like that anymore?  :(

Thought of you girls when I came across this local ad for a seller at permanent 'market' here.  These two brooches are both about 6" long.  Would love to see them in person!