Author Topic: George Washington's Hair  (Read 1881 times)

RebaAZ

• View Profile
George Washington's Hair
« on: August 01, 2004, 12:34:44 pm »
I have a lock of George Washington's hair, fashioned into a mourning ring in the original case, dated 1799. How would I get this authenticated or who would I contact?

Thanks,
Reba

D&b antiques

• View Profile
George Washington's Hair
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 04:42:44 pm »
:o that' a tough question, it was not and uncommon practice to use some one else's hair. in mourning jewelry, any hair will do. and the best part, is they do not have to be deceased. there were of course reasons' why other hair was used a drowning victim where the body was not recovered etc.

RebaAZ

• View Profile
George Washington's Hair
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 08:37:43 am »
Thank you.  I have a little more information that might help?

The leather case is embossed Lincoln & Foss (Boston) and CP McKnight is also engraved (Washington's personal physician) on the case. On the front of the case is engraved: General G. Washington's hair, 1799.  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
George Washington's Hair
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 10:18:56 am »
:o you' need expert help, I suggest you contact christies or sothebys auction. both are on line. est $25,000 to$30,000.00 dollars if it is original.

Glover60

• View Profile
Re: George Washington's Hair
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 12:36:43 am »
This antique forum is a great resource for collectors and enthusiasts looking to learn more about antique items. is engaging and provides helpful insights into the history and value of various antique pieces. It's clear that the members are passionate about their hobbies and enjoy sharing their knowledge with others. Overall, this forum is a valuable resource for anyone interested in antiques.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 02:35:04 pm by KC »