Author Topic: Crystal Glass Lidded or Saucered Vase  (Read 2557 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Crystal Glass Lidded or Saucered Vase
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:48:12 pm »
These two things came together, and the smaller dish was on top of the vase like a lid.  The smaller dish has a hole in the center and I'm not sure if it is a lid, a saucer, or if it even goes with this piece.  The style reminds me a bit of Imperial, so I've been looking into that.  If anyone recognizes this or can help me figure out a pattern, brand, date, etc., it would be much appreciated!  It has a starburst bottom and no maker markings that I could find.

The lid (or saucer) and the vase have the same geometric design pattern; I think they must go together and it's probably obvious how but perhaps I've been thinking too hard on it.

The vase is approx. 5"H

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Crystal Glass Lidded or Saucered Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »
     Called a Cubist if by jeanette, Whitehall if by Imperial, or American if by Fostoria.   They are considered berrry bowls they don't usually go together.  Most likely you have a whitehall, had quite a few of these could not sell.  The most valueable are the American followed by the cubist, and the whitehall well not so much.  Look at the bottom and see how many seams you see, if Three then it is a jeanette, if the cubes are nice squared and detailed they are American, it they are kinda of rounded cubes then you have a whitehall.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:21:18 pm »
Wow...impressed!!!!  Thank you so much, ironlord!  I'll research that, that helps a lot...I was at a real loss on this one.  Here's hoping it's not Whitehall, then, haha.  ;)  I bought a Jeannette pink glass vase at the same auction so I'm thinking Jeannette is a real possibility...I'll update when I find out more.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »
    I stop tring to buy and sell any of the cubist patterns personnally, they don't move.  I am stll trying to sell a couple that are somewhat unique and both have been posted a few times with no luck.  One is a Footed Whitehall Dish, and the other I pretty sure it is whitehall but a unique color, but can't find any record that they produced this color.  Here I wll post pics so you can see.  If you want a few more of the berry bowl, I can dig out a few in my rummage sale pile.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:22:09 am »
GG  In your second photo your top piece was produced by princess house and is a votive candle holder top that is why one side has a hole in it. Some people used them as candy dishes also. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRINCESS-HOUSE-CRYSTAL-CANDLE-HOLDER-CANDY-DISH-/150643364172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23130b514c   :)   The piece on the left in your second photo I think stands alone and may be dep glass as ironlord said.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:38:38 am by wendy177 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:10:55 am »
Could be a fairy lamp !!  I have several of these !! Hole in top is to allow smoke to escape after candle is out !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:15:53 am »
     Did not realize that Princess House offered a Cube Pattern.  Also somehow I missed the note of the hole.  First to clear things up a bit, Princess House did not make Glass, they purchased Items for sale by their In home Sales Staff, much like Avon.  Avon used Fostoria Glass for most of their stuff, Princess House used all kinds of companies to supply their items.  If it has a hole You have a what is called a Hurricane Center Piece made by Colony Glass in the Whitehall pattern.  These was made in the mid 60's it may well have been offered by Princess House though.  Another note on the various Cube pattern glass is Fostoria made their first but made them from the early 1900's into the 1980's, Jeannette is the only one really considered Depression, cause they made theirs as giveaways during this period, harder to find, and then Finally in the 1960's Colony put out the whitehall pattern, and pretty much flooded the market with this pattern.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:14 am »
You guys are awesome!!  ironlord, the pattern on mine looks almost identical to your top photo, but as far as shape and pattern together I think Wendy might have it pinned.  I know a lot better how to describe this now...Cubist pattern, candle holder, etc.  I don't know why but the use of candle holder didn't even cross my mind.   :D

So the two pieces stand alone?  But come together (both in my case, and in the eBay listing Wendy posted)?  Isn't that kind of odd?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:27:01 am »
     I just check out Replacements and the only mention of your item is under Colony whitehall, look for Hurricane Centerpiece and see if that matches your size.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/COLWHI.htm    toward the bottom of the top list.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:32:31 am »
That's it!  Same measurements, same look & design.  You are good!  Wow, $9.99.  I may just travel to Europe with that profit.  Hehe.  Good thing this piece was essentially free!  Thank you!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:39:43 am »
    Well had to look a bit at the princess house stuff to see if they offered the Blue Green color of mine.  I did not find the pattern, but did find several glass items offered by princess house in that unique color, looks like maybe mine was a princess house line too, been trying to find evidence of colony making this color but have come to a block, but Princess house has some glass in this color.