Author Topic: Help! How to clean pewter statues?  (Read 3571 times)

juled87

• View Profile
Help! How to clean pewter statues?
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:23:02 pm »
I have several different cast metal/pewter statues.  For years each sat atop mantel of grandfather's fireplace.  There is build up of what I can best describe as "crud".  I have tried to clean using soapy water along with soft bristle brush.  Didn't work at all.  I'm afraid to use any over the counter ('brasso', etc) cleaners.  Short of scraping it up (which does in fact work [tried it on a tiny spot] but am afraid would ultimately cause damage) how do I remove this?  I've attached a couple of picts to try and show what it is I'm referring to.  Thank you to anyone who can help.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Help! How to clean pewter statues?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:25:09 pm »
That doesn't look like pewter to me, that looks more like bronze... or is it just the photo? Are you sure of the material?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

juled87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:41:03 pm »
Made a mistake ... actually meant spelter not pewter.  They are Jennings Brothers statues and my understanding is they were made of cast metal or spelter.  Hope this helps.  Thanks.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 04:45:55 pm »
Heres what Eric from "Antiques Roadshow" has to say.."Don't use metal cleaners, it can take off the patina," Eric advises. "Just dust them off. If you want, use a little clear paste wax and a terry cloth towel, and it will shine up just fine."
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

juled87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:54:58 pm »
I also read the same info. about cleaning metal works from the "Antiques Roadshow".  I purchased the recommended micro-crystalline wax polish (Renaissance) and tried it on a small spot but it didn't work to polish it up at all.  I'm also afraid I might just be sealing in the dirt and grime.  Honestly at a loss as to what to do --- they honestly look terrible -- really dirty.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:31:01 pm »
These are several methods , and I think one should keep in mind the fact - any heavy cleaning will wind up removing patina , period .

In my experience with such , I'd say that your items ought to be treated as if they have been 'smoke-damaged' , such as in 'survivors' of a house fire .

The industry standard , for cleaning , would be the VERY patient process (think of each piece as a potential week-or-two project) of repeated gentle cleaning cycles with cotton rags/q-tips + warm water + Orvus Wa (followed by a good dry-off) .

Orvus Wa is pretty much cow shampoo , and is often sold in 'cow-sized' quantites , but sometimes a local farm supply , or a janitorial supply hse will sell you just one jug .

After cleaning the pieces , then you could evaluate what these do-dads really look like & then decide about polishing &/or finishing them @ a later date .

IMO , if your items have not been 'burnished' (I can't tell from pics) , chances are that polishing them would make 'em look pretty sad .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:34:23 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:33:01 pm »
WOW.  Thank you for that excellent information, fancypants!!  Bravo.

juled87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:51:19 am »
Thanx for the advice -- there is actually a farm supply store nearby so going to check on the cow shampoo & give it a try!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:04 am »
I just use Windex on most all metals,,,just spray let sit about 5 minutes and wash off with a mild soap and water !! It will remove surface dirt and grime and smoke but I have never had it do any harm to the patina !! But as with everything,, test on the bottom before trying on entire piece !!
have also used 409 and Fantastik with same results !!
Just now seeing the pics,,I think you may need to check on that metal !!  Sure looks like bronze !!
Checked some auction results for Jennings bronzes and spelter but none were very expensive !! Most sold under $100. Only one was higher at $230. end price !!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:27:25 am by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 10:42:04 am »
I have used warm water and Dawn for dishes!  I figured if it was gentle enough for animals affected by oil spills it would be gentle and tough enough for this....and it cleans great without damage.  Work with cloth on an inconspicuous place first.  I then oil them.

I went to the site that I like....It isn't a fix all but there is lots of good information on this site!  And they endorse what I do....wow...I did something right?!?!??! (Otherwise we are both wrong :)  Had to put that in there before the others beat me to it!  LOL)

Antiques.COM  The Magazine
CARE, CLEANING and CONSERVATION METHODS for ANTIQUE METAL WARE: Useful tips in restoring Antique Lamps, Clocks, Ormolu, Spelter, Bronze etc

http://blog.antiques.com/2011/02/11/care-cleaning-and-conservation-methods-for-antique-metal-ware-useful-tips-in-restoring-antique-lamps-clocks-ormolu-spelter-bronze-etc/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:33:39 am »
Thanks KC !!  Didn`t have that one !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:26:29 pm »
I'd have to say that the suggestions from mart & KC will work MUCH faster than the Orvus Wa !

I've pretty much avoided having spelter items , ceptin' for a bit or two on mantle clocks & so on .... mostly due to not liking it's 'metals' content/quality(s) .
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:41:53 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "