Author Topic: Huge lot of copper kettles, bowls, and pans  (Read 1896 times)

mmn7303

• View Profile
Huge lot of copper kettles, bowls, and pans
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »
I recently came across a huge lot of copper kettles, pots and bowls. They had been left outside and are in horrible shape. So far I have used Tarn-X and Brasso and they have cleaned up somewhat. There are still some tarnish spots that I cannot not clean out. Do you have any suggestions? I also tried lemon juice and salt and vinegar and salt and they did not work so well. Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Huge lot of copper kettles, bowls, and pans
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:03:41 am »
You may not be able to get it all off !!  But I would try something especially for copper if there is such an animal !! Otherwise just say it adds to the character of the pot !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:52:52 am »
Here's an article with brand name copper cleaners given. Try your hardware store, I would try Wright's since their silver polish is very good.

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-clean-your-copper-accessories_W0QQugidZ10000000000013621
Antiqueaholic in recovery

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:26:38 pm »
I second tales' suggestion on Wright's.  Their brass polish is safe for brass, copper, chrome, bronze, and pewter.  It works really well as does their silver polish for silver & silver plating.  This line was recommended to me by an antiques shop owner and I am so glad he introduced me to it, I use it on my "keepers".  Just remember that with their brass polish you have to rinse it off well afterwards so it doesn't leave any white residue behind.

Also--at least in my neck of the woods--they have it at most grocery stores in the furniture polish & cleaners section.

I also agree with mart though that there's a possibility it won't all come off.  I have some copper pots that have some wear that won't go away, but I love them just the same!  Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:28:40 pm by GreenhornGirl »

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »
Also, copper scratches pretty easily so make sure you don't use any metal scouring pads or anything.  Eek!  :)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:04:04 pm »
You used the "T" word! I am still having nightmares! (Tarn-x) Glad it worked okay for someone.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:17:46 pm »
Never use Tarn X !! If the pots are vintage I would want them to look vintage,, not new !! Would love to see all the pieces !! Can you put them all together and take a pic ???