Author Topic: "old as the hills" Costume jewelery  (Read 2791 times)

bob535

• View Profile
"old as the hills" Costume jewelery
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »
My Grandma pulled this set out of some old box, and she wanted me to maybe sell it if it is worth selling. She said she doesn't know much about it, but it is as "old as the hills". It is missing a stone, and i don't know how it would clasp (the necklace). It seems like there is something missing, but doesn't look like it is broken. There are no marks, and the earrings are clamp on (screws on like a wood clamp).

I don't think it's as old as she thinks it is, but she could be right...lol.  any info on this would be much appreciated  ;D

Sorry some of the pics are fuzzy...they looked fine on camera screen:

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: "old as the hills" Costume jewelery
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:08:30 pm »
I would place your set c 1940s   the clasp is not broken just slide the hook on and that's it. I can not tell from the photo if the rhinestones are dead. The pear shaped cabochons appear to be blue moonstone . If all the rhinestones are bright & brilliant in a good market $150.00 in this market if you want it sold $20.00 for the set. I would hang on to it.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:32:19 pm »
Wendy - What is a "dead" rhinestone?

WAIT!!!... I looked it up... ;D A "dead" stone is a foil-backed rhinestone that has lost its original shininess, usually after water has damaged the foil. For example, a "dead" clear rhinestone will appear dull and off-white, greenish or yellowish.

Is this what you consider "dead"?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »
From the photos I would consider these dead stones ( could just be the lighting but ) see how the blue looks dark gray almost blackish No shine = dead stones. Here is A blue rhinestone & blue moonstone necklace of mine with live brillant stones. I do not  buy jewelry with dead stones as there is no way to improve the piece unless the stones are replaced. To clean any rhinestone jewelry I water down Windex & spray onto a soft cloth and lightly wipe the front. do not soak as this is what gets behind the stone and damages the foil back.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:53:48 pm by wendy177 »

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 05:44:39 pm »
Awesome!! Thank you for the info, i never would have had a clue where to begin on these. I wouldn't call the stones on this one dead, they shine like blue diamonds.

I'll let her know to hold on to them, thanks again for the info!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:18:55 am »
Wendy`s date is correct,, 40`s !! I do think it is missing a short piece of chain with beads from the side that the hook would catch on !! As it is if the hook would catch on the rhinestones, the necklace would hang crooked !! Replacing it would be simple if you have an old necklace that would match closely !! Its just a chain with 4 or 5 usually silver beads spaced evenly so the hook would catch on them !! I think it would bring a bit more in todays market !!  Some vintage jewelry has been doing very well on ebay !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:52:49 am »
  The necklace is intact and not missing any parts. If you look at the photos you can see the larger stone on the very end this is how this type of necklace is supposed to be no short piece of chain with beads from the side that the hook would catch on. I have attached photos one with no chain & one with a chain like you mentioned. Both were produced during 1940s era.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 11:44:37 am »
Could be !! I was looking at his first pic and just looked to me like it should have had the additional chain. But maybe not !! I can`t see it well enough to tell but maybe he can !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »
It's a lovely set, Bob.  :)

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 04:55:07 pm »
Thanks  ;D

Yeah the stone it the end is larger than the others, but it didn't make sense to me...lol...i was looking for where an old chain might have been attached and broke off, but there were no break marks...But now I get it!! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »
There would be no break marks even if it had the additional chain !!  There would have been a tiny place at the end with a hole through it big enough for a wire to go through, just large enough for a catch loop !! the loop would have went through the hole and then bent back together !! Catch loop also would have the chain on it !! The loop was just the connecting piece !!