Author Topic: Military decal I. D.  (Read 5291 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Military decal I. D.
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »
I wonder if anyone has an idea of what military organization this decal stands for. (I know it's the Air Force)  The ex owner saw a lot of action in the Korean War and I know he flew B-26 bombers in support of the U. N. troops north of the 38th Parallel when they were surrounded by the Chinese Communist troops.  Any help would be appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Military decal I. D.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:56:31 pm »
I asked hubby and he said that it looked like a unit patch that he had seen years ago but couldn`t remember what it was for !! I looked in a magazine he gets from MedalsofAmerica.com but didn`t find it there !! I found something on Youtube about that specific patch by googling but Youtube and dial up does not get along too well !! Will ask Jim when he has coffee in the morning and see if he knows !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »
I have asked everyone I know with a military background and have not made any progress on this patch !!  Jim also said unit patch,, probably a recon unit,,but thats all he knows !!  Did learn one thing from research oin this,, there was a huge shortage of patches and various insignia at one point and many of the units designed their own and had them made locally !! I can`t find a record of it anywhere !!  Might also have to check Army Air Force as I don`t think AF was separate from Army till after WWII !!  Still looking though !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 02:29:51 pm »
This is what I have come across in the last two years trying to match a unit to this patch.  I've gone thru a lot of sites with pics and no success.  I think you are right in that this jacket was decorated (for want of a better word) by the original purchaser, to his/her specs.  It is a Cooper brand which is right for the time frame, and the whole decal seems to have been painted and then sewed to the jacket.  This necessitated removing the lining, sewing the patch on, then sewing the lining back in.  Lot of work, but there were lots of good tailors in the Orient.  I'll keep looking also and reply if I come up with something.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:34 pm »
Can you please tell what the clothing label says inside the jacket?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:42 pm »
Jondar, take a look through this site. I went through a page of unidentified ones (eyes started to bug out of my head) found one with 3 Aces but not yours.  Check their Air Force section.  ;)

http://ljmilitaria.com/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:38:14 am »
Forgot to add that one site I looked at said the king of hearts and also possibly the ace were known as the death cards in some units !! Its the combination of the two that I haven`t found reference to or the LR 21!! Jim said possibly "light recon" !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:55:44 am »
KC - The label simply says COOPER and below that Genuine Leather.  Size 44. I  don't believe that this is a "Govt. Issue" as the Cooper jackets issued to the military had the contract number and Type number on the label.  I think this was a civilian jacket with the military decals added.  The jacket has had excellent care, tho flaking from age, the knit cuffs and knit waist band have been replaced.  Too bad the only person who could fill me in on the facts (?) is no longer living.

Sapphire -  Wow! I understand how your eyes popped when you read that site.  On the opening screen if you will notice the decal that says, at the top, RAMPAGERS and in the banner below, ATTACK SQUADRON, the shape of the decal is the same as mine, but without the top banner above the circle. Also some of the decals appear almost to be contructed by someone with a Magic Marker and the pictures depicted appear crude.  Would it be possible that "blank" decals be bought and you could just depict what you wanted to?  Who knows?  Maybe The Shadow.  The decal on mine with the King and Ace of Hearts appears to be painted and very good tho not perfect.

Mart -  That's interesting about the "Death Cards."  I'll try to go further with that.  What did I start?  Now I can't sleep nites until I find this out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:21:50 am »
Try putting "king of hearts, ace of hearts air force patch" in google and see if you can find the reference to it on Youtube !! Thats the only place I saw that had both together !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 10:25:48 am »
Did find this pic and noted with 21st T F Squadron - but can't find it on the web yet!

Mart that was during the Vietnam war.

Most likely a "privately made" patch/insignia....

Found this site that someone has done alot of work on....interesting.. ..http://www.psywarrior.com/DeathCardsAce.html

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 03:31:48 pm »
Been trying to search for this patch also with nothing coming up...

I emailed the guy in the the link that Sapphire posted along with a pic of the patch..this is his response...hope it helps (although i'm kinda confused about the part where he says he thinks the "VL" prefix is wrong)

Angela,

It looks like a modern made “fashion” jacket copied from the WWII Army Air Forces A-2 flying jacket.
The patch is a fake Navy patch.

It was probably made when the Japanese were crazy over American Flying Gear in the 1980s into circa 2005.

search this site for the design....I think the “VL” prefix is wrong and maybe the number “21”....just check all the patches on his site:
http://bluejacket.com/index_patch_picture.html

Many of these items were made overseas and the people making them did not know, or care, if the item was historically correct.

Jack

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 06:02:05 pm »
Angela - Thanks for getting that info.   The thought had been crossing my mind that it might be a "fake", but I couldn't reconcile that with where I got it which was from the widow of the retired Air Force Colonel whom I once knew. Its entirely possible he picked it up in Japan, but the flaky condition of the leather shows a lot of age and the knitted cuffs and waistband have been replaced.  Like yourself, I'm not sure whar the "VL and 21" indicates.  If it is a fake then I will probably never know what military organization it represents, if any.  But thanks again for your help.         Jon

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:10:02 pm »
OK, Ya`ll have got me confused !! To use a bit of Texas english !! Where is a VL on the patch?? The banner says LR 21 unless I am missing something or totally blind !!

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:46 pm »
lol I know what ya mean Mart! I was confused about that part also!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »
my step-dad is a lieutenant colonel and he didnt recognize the patch but reminded me the the king and ace equal 21 in black jack so it was probably  chosen because of they LR- 21, also the United Nations sent support from 21 countrys to support the south so maybe that has somethin to do with it! I searched all over and couldnt come up with that patch, hope you find it
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells