Author Topic: Antique Road Sign Question  (Read 1464 times)

surgey

• View Profile
Antique Road Sign Question
« on: August 08, 2004, 01:40:06 pm »
My uncle stopped by today and showed me a road sign from the 40's-50's that he wanted to sell.  He asked me to find a value for it, as he's been offered $100 for it and he wants to know if that's a good price.  I have yet to find a website dedicated to road sign values so I decided to post this here.

It's a 2x2 ft 100% steel sign with the words: 'If you drink' on the top and 'Do not drive' on the bottom.  In the middle is a skull and crossbones.  The strange/unique thing is that the eyes have transparent glass marbles in them.  There's a black border along the 2x2 ft parimiter.  It's a valid sign as the letters have been 'pressed in' by a machine.

I know it seems like a strange request, but any information on pricing or a website that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 03:49:07 pm »
my googling results, not a clue - -

more info?  what state was this from?  how was it attached?  a pole?  a wood post?

any fine print on the bottom front/rear?

perhaps signs made by a concerned citizens group rather than a state or local government -

do you sell on any online auctions?  with a reserve of $100.  I believe that identifying alcohol/use/abuse/drunk etc with the skull and crossbones confirms 1930's/40's.  That " 'ol demon rum" kind of thing.  Wonderful touch, marble eyes.  Would this have "shined" at a driver in the dark?

interesting.     KB

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 04:44:57 pm »
:oHowdy all' excuse the barge in, I would double the $100.00 dollar offer unless you' need the money, which in my case is all the time. HA'HA'. p.s. e-bay sells road sign 's, at give away prices.

surgey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 06:19:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not too sure whether it was attached to a metal or wooden pole as I just saw the sign itself and didn't think of the question at the time.  The back of the marbles have worn away white paint on them, so I think you would be correct to assume that they would 'glare' at them as light refracted off of them as the driver went by.  Scary, but no doubt convincing :).  

He's manager of a road maintenance company, so I'm assuming while cleaning around in storage he found it.  The company is located in North Dakota, though I won't exclude the possibility of it originating in another state.  Another thing I’d like to mention is that it could possibly be from the early 60’s as well, though it’s 100% steel so it probably wouldn’t be any later than that.

I didn't see any fine print anywhere on the sign, but I'm sure it could have been made by a citizen group, like you said.  I'm not sure where they would find a machine to make the beveled lettering though.

I have found nothing having to do with the sign anywhere so far from my searches on the web as well.  :unsure:

That's about all I can think of to explain it.  Thanks for your help so far! :)