Author Topic: Two Rocker Blotter Desk Accessories  (Read 4916 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Two Rocker Blotter Desk Accessories
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:04:15 pm »
One looks older than the other.
The one with the handle has "Birks Made in Italy" Problem is every time I search for it, I get bombarded with Birks jewelry.
I think it is old.
The second one looks like the top is made from some thick board. Doesn't look to be as old as the other one.

Sorry about the condition of them but would still like to know how old they might be. Thanks.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Two Rocker Blotter Desk Accessories
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:35 pm »
The mark:

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »
No wonder I couldn't find out much about these. I thought they were securing stamps or wax. They were for blotting ink! Didn't have a clue. :-[
Off to do some searching...

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:46:22 am »
Am sure you have seen this: http://reviews.ebay.com/A-Brief-History-of-Ink-Blotters_W0QQugidZ10000000010357920

It was not until the 1850s that blotting paper came into common use in America, when Joseph Parker and Son started manufacturing blotting paper. In the late 1800s, a patent was issued for improved blotting paper which featured a smooth surface on one side and a blotting surface on the other.

"Rocker blotters were an important piece of desk equipment from the late 1880s until the 1950s. This type of blotter had a handle 2 to 5 inches long and a rounded surface 2 to 3 inches wide where the blotting paper was attached. Some of these rocker blotters were very ornate and made of wood, glass, silver or brass and are also sought after by collectors."

I wonder...  Am I to read this as meaning the flat blotter style (1850) is older than the rocker blotter style (1880-1950)? Will search some more...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:50:32 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:25:26 am »
I didn't even know these were called rocker blotters until the other day, I was looking under desk accessories. Noticed that is what they called them. Then just assumed what they were used for. Wasn't getting anywhere, so started playing with words and found out they were for blotting ink! I get so intent on finding the exact image that I fail to do the reading (obviously an important thing to do!).

Thank you so much, Oceans! I really do appreciate you taking the time to help and giving me that information. I didn't know that at all. Next time I'll do just as much reading as I do searching for the item.

I'll catch up on that today/tonight. Lesson learned!   ;)

Now you have me curious about all this. I really thought the handled one would be older. I know I have another blotter around here somewhere...in one of the boxes...ughhhhh

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:52:03 pm »
Wow, those are really neat. It sounds like the rocker one would be a later model, but I don't know for sure. Those are really cool. Nice find!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:04:47 pm »
I'll post some ink bottles up one day. Have a few different scent bottle too. Just not sure if they are old enough to post. Glad you like them, Tales! I thought they were kind of neat.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »
I have a lot of old ink bottles and perfumes that were dug up. I'll post you some pictures.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:39:47 pm »
I would love to see them. I guess mine are inkwells, not bottles. Thanks!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 07:59:11 pm »
These are not great pictures it's so late, but these are just a few. The one ink bottle is blue and the ones at the right hand side are perfumes. I cut one out by accident. I'm tired, lol The next picture is a lot newer, but I love it. I tried to put in all different kinds. The large brown ink bottle is a Bixby ink. The clear glass is actually the oldest, and most creud. The next is a Carter's from 1897. The blue I have to check for markings still. The perfume is from London, The Crown Perfumery, and the mini green has no markings. The one I cut out was from Paris,  Fere Soehnees of Paris,

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:12 pm »
What a collection, greenacres! You said they were dug up? You found all these? Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »
The Carter Reel ink was found in a wall. The rest were dug up at a job site. The last we got out of a house we had bought.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »
Nice rocker blotters!  Believe yours is from Birks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birks_%26_Mayors  They made nice jewelry and pieces for desks back in the time.  That one would be a nice amount!  Just need new blotter paper on them!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 09:06:44 pm »
And here I thought something was wrong because all I could come up with was Birks jewelers. I am in Canada and they are well known here. I just didn't think they would have made desk accessories that were wood and leather! I did more searching because of your post and found there were plenty of things made in Italy for Birks!!! Can't thank you enough!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 10:29:32 am »
Lots of Jewelers added items that were more "manly" to their wares that way they got top sales for the nicer gifts that were so characteristic of the time!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!