Author Topic: Help with a couple of glass dishes.  (Read 3484 times)

mamahound

• View Profile
Help with a couple of glass dishes.
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:31:42 pm »
As promised in my "new to forum" intro, I am going to post a couple of dishes that I hope someone out there will have a bit of knowledge about.
The pics are not great but I tried to catch the best ways to show them. One is a cranberry cut glass dish. It is of moderate ruby color. No makers marks to be found. There are a few tiny air bubbles in the glass itself that I know usually means it was made early on. The second is a larger dish of light green color that is more of a bowl than a plate but has a large lip around that slopes down almost to the table. Again no makers marks and the tiny air bubbles of early makers. It is also cut glass pattern. Any and all info, guesses, suggested websites would be welcome. These have been packed up since the 60s and are much older that that. I still have her china cabinet to go through that holds a few more cranberry glass pieces. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where made, appro. age? Thanks a bunch. Annette

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help with a couple of glass dishes.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »
I am not sure that green one is actually a bowl !! Need Wendy and Ironlord on these pieces !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 06:06:25 pm »
I believe your green piece is a Heisey Octagon Console Bowl. They  made 3 or 4  variations of this design I can think of. Try searching Heisey Octagon Green Depression Glass Console Bowl on ebay and see if you get a hit.  :)  Don't recognize your red piece off the top of my head will need to dig  for that one ..... Ironlord where are youuuuuuu!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:08:51 pm by wendy177 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:19:41 pm »
I don't know where you guys store all that info but it sure helps us all out a lot. Wendy you were bang on with that one....

One of the versions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heisey-Octagon-Green-Depression-Glass-Console-Bowl-/400107754378#ht_4091wt_932

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »
I think your red piece is a coin pattern. I'll have to check.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »
It could be also Old Sandwich by Heisey and Co. 1931-56. I'll know for sure when I find what I'm looking for.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:47:34 pm »
    Wow been so busy lately, seems like I've been missing out on all the glass.  I will have to look into my heisey book in a bit, but have almost two pages of threads to read here first, that's What I get for not visiting here every hour or so  ;D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:57:21 pm »
I was wondering where you have been,lol I was just going to ask mamahound what the sizes are? I can pinpoint it better with prices. I think it's Old sandwich because Coin glass seems much thicker.

mamahound

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »
WOW! Is all I can say. Thanks so much for the ID on the green bowl. It is such a pretty bowl. I just wanted to have a bit more history on it as far as maker and such. I will always treasure these pieces and pass them on down to my daughter, now with a little extra history to go along with it. You guys rock! I'll check back for more updates on the other bowl. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:26 pm »
Just looked through my whole two books on Heisey Glass, and nothing appears anything like the red dish.  It appears to be cut crystal, and can't find anything Heisey did even close to that style.  I will try and look a bit more later, but still have packing to do after my weekend of Ebay.  Did well but seems to be eating my fun time here a bit  :-\

mamahound

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:27:51 pm »
I really appreciate all the input. The red piece is 10-10 1/2" across. The edges dip down and back out a bit. They were together in the same box wrapped in newspaper and not very well wrapped. I nearly had a fit when I saw how lovely they were and amazed how they survived all the moving around. No telling how often they were moved from place to place in that box. I never remember seeing these pieces out at home. Mom kept things boxed and out of site. Probably one reason they survived us kids and grandkids and nieces and nephews.....oh my!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:22:33 pm »
They types I mentioned came in red. The book I have gives the colors it came in and red was one them. Not all came in red that's why I wanted to know the size. I 'll look tomorrow and see if your size fits. It's to late.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »
I was starting to wonder where ironlord was, too...glad everything's OK and you were just busy  :)

Is it my tired eyes, or does this piece look very similar in style?  Except for less lines in the starbursts...but could be a clue.  Maybe.  http://www.fancy4glass.ca/main-categories/glass-and-glassware-detailed-pages/ruby-red-to-clear-cut-glass-bowl-vase-stars-and-spots.htm

That cranberry one's a toughie...searched a lot and came up with little.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 04:10:04 pm »
Old Sandwich makes a Moongleam Flamingo color. Is this a footed bowl ?

mamahound

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »
The red dish is shallow like a plate and it's not footed.  I've searched a bunch of websites and haven't found anything that comes close to this dish.