Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen this Fish mark?  (Read 5062 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Has anyone ever seen this Fish mark?
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:09 pm »
I know sometimes in error/lack of knowledge I post things that end up not being old enough to fit into vintage/antique. This might be one of those. I am making a blog to post things that I don't think meet that requirement. Just so I can have them up with info and can look into them later. Just really want it all photographed and documented so I can sort them into keep/sell/giveaway boxes and get them out of here!  ;)

I don't want these candle holders. (There are 2) But since there is a mark, I wouldn't mind knowing about them before they go. Having a hard time finding this mark.
Made in Denmark. It is a fish. Has anyone ever come across that mark before? One more question...a hallmark is for metals, others are called backstamps, what would a called a mark that is carved in like that? Impression?

Here is a picture, and I'll stop posting thing that might not be old enough for this site, promise!  ;) Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever seen this Fish mark?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:58:47 am »
Some of those Danish Modern pieces can get pricey !!  Looks like a cod fish !! I will see what I can find !!

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:27:54 pm »
o.m.g.  i LOVE those.  yes, denmark candleholers are quite hot right now.  definitely not antique, midcentury modern.  i will look for info.  ps--i will take em if you want to get rid of em.  they would go perfect in my etsy shop.  <3

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »
i can't find anything either.  i would go to MODish and check it out.  i would say dansk teak though, that's my guess.  please let me know if you want to get rid of them.  i just adore them!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:58:31 am »
Thanks, galaxywoman! I thought they were teak after doing a bit of searching. I don't hate them, they just don't fit in my decor. Is that Modish you mentioned an etsy place? That's where I ended up. I found these small wooden bobble head dolls that I have there, so double thanks! Still haven't found the fish mark! I'll keep digging.

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:19:44 am »
MODish is another forum--dealing with midcentury modern.  they have an ID topic.  I would post it in there.  they could be worth some moola!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:32:44 am »
I haven`t found a thing even similar !!  I even looked at Denmarks national symbols !!  Not even a bump !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 12:21:29 pm »
Thanks for trying, mart. Much appreciated!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:22:46 pm »
Wow, this is a real stumper, snowflake!  Don't recognize the marking...did some looking and couldn't find anything with that maker marking.  I would also guess midcentury or slightly earlier...I'm no expert, but I think that if it were newer than 1950s it would be more likely to have a sticker on the bottom than the marking that it has.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 11:54:30 am »
During the late 90's lots of imported items still had carved and hot stampings done on them....why?....it appears to be nicer/finer/more valuable than ones with little labels!  Great marketing. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:01:35 pm »
Thanks both for the help. I know the things I post here have to be at least 25 years old because they were here when I met this family. Other than that, I'm clueless.  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »
The top fish consumed in DENMARK are Mackerel, Salmon and halibut.  Defnitely not a halibut....so....th e other two are contenders.

Mackerel

Salmon
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 08:56:01 pm »
Thanks KC! I'll try a search!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »
That looks a LOT like a mackerel, KC!  Nice job.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:21 am »
My parents have something made of wood with that mark on it. One of my aunts brought it back from vacation in Europe. I think it was a wooden salad bowl set or it might of been a wood vase but I deffinately remember that mark. I think it was made in the 80's.