Author Topic: Toy Indian  (Read 3315 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Toy Indian
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:32:46 pm »
I have this little hollow metal Indian I haven't been able to find. He sits 1.5" tall and about 1" wide. He has a movable left arm which I guess makes it easier to smokem his peace pipe. I think he is lead and has England down his back.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Toy Indian
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:45 am »
I tried to find this but no luck yet. It sure looks old. An a movable arm! From those shows on tv, that makes it even more collectable. I like it!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:36:54 am »
Looks like those that were found in the late 50's to early 60's.....  This is a keeper.

No markings on it anywhere?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
All I can obviously see is the big ENGLAND down his back but I will take a closer look later.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:41 am »
I think what you have there is a cast aluminum 1950's era piece from a cowboys and indians set. Have a look at this identification page:  http://www.knightsofavalon.com/etoycollector/lead_identification.htm although I do not see your exact figure, I would contact the owner of this page and I bet he/she could identify it for you.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
I think its too heavy to be cast aluminum. I couldn't find a way to contact the owner of the page you posted. I did contact someone else that should be able to shed some light. I think it is most likely a Britains hollowcast lead. They are the only ones I could find with moveable arms like this.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:37 am »
Believe this is just like yours...or is yours.  They used to make them from lead - so they were hefty for their size!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/25389358/movable-arm-vintage-lead-toy-cowboys-and

And another from ENGLAND
http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/britains-indian-with-weapons-44352061.htm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:26:03 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:50:42 am »
Wow I cant believe you found him. Thank you so much. Its deffinately the first one. Only difference is mine has England down his back and paint still on him. It says he has a tool in his hand but mine looks like it is deffinately a pipe. I wonder how old he is and how much he sold for.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 10:37:53 am »
Good catch, KC!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 11:04:52 am »
To day the least KevinB they didn't stay popular TOO awful long...imagine a kiddo chewing on lead!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 01:51:10 pm »

Can`t see that well but I believe he is holding what is known as a war club !!  Stone head on short handle !! Some call them tomahawks but they are not actually !!

Wow I cant believe you found him. Thank you so much. Its deffinately the first one. Only difference is mine has England down his back and paint still on him. It says he has a tool in his hand but mine looks like it is deffinately a pipe. I wonder how old he is and how much he sold for.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 12:59:22 am »
It definitely looks like a pipe to me and here is why. The way he is sitting is a classic ceremonial pose. That would also be a real funny way to be holding a war club but seems consistant with how one would hold a pipe not just a Native American but anyone. Also if that was a war club or even some sort of tool the curve of its handle would be very inefficient. To me it more resembles the curved mouthpiece of an English pipe which would make sense to me because if it didn't look like an everyday pipe the kid playing with it wouldn't know what it was either. I imagine this toy would fit the classic Cowboy and Indian movie scene where everyone sits down to talk treaty, the chief passes the white guy a pipe and now everyone is friends.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 08:40:03 am »
Possibly a pipe but since the arm when raised is in a throwing position,, it goes behind the head,, didn`t seem to fit using a pipe !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 01:30:07 pm »
ok yeah I can see how that looks like a throwing position but I was really just trying to take a picture showing that the arm moved and that was the only position I could get his arm balanced enough to stay up. Throwing a weapon sitting down like that seems very unlikely.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 02:05:14 pm »
At first glance , it looked like a vintage/antique paint-scraper (& I thought "Hmmm... maybe he's in the union & on strike ...") in his hand , but that wouldn't fit , even though he looks like maybe he got painted here & there a little after he left the factory (?) .

At a second glance , I thought it might be a fancy quill pen , for signing away large chunks of land ...

One-armed bandit handle would not be a fit either , nor PC @ all .

Perhaps what the fellow has got gripped so tight might be an atlatl , but that's a bit odd to use in a sitting position ...

I really think that it's a rattle , though .

Cool old toxic toy , KevinB !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "