Author Topic: Interesting brooch?!?!  (Read 2125 times)

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
Interesting brooch?!?!
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:48:10 pm »
My mother-in-law received this brooch from an elderly lady that she cared for for many years prior to her passing at age 84.  I haven't come across anything similar as of yet.  It does appear to be painted when looking at it in the daylight.  I noticed some posts relating to jewelry and was hoping to get some input.  I would appreciate any info to pass along.  As always, thanks for taking care of this newbie!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting brooch?!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »
A couple of posts down we discussed painted brooches. Yours is very nice. The prices vary. If you look on ebay there are a lot of them. Is it signed anywhere?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:54:12 pm »
No, there is no signature.  Magnet does not stick, so not sure of the metal either, possibly brass? It appears to be painted when viewed in light, but I have an untrained eye.  Closure seems older as well.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:45:05 am »
Does appear to be hand painted as best I can tell from photos, The catch is called a C type and is the earliest type of catch, Victorian 1800s but was also used in later years, another clue on dating is the longer the pin extends past the edge of the piece when clasped the older the piece, the shorter the pin when clasped the newer. It also appears to have a ball hing these have been used from the 1890s to present.  Dating by style & motif can be difficult because they tend to overlap, A style that was coming to an end In England may have been at its peak of popularity in the US. Best guess I would say your piece is European late 1800s early 1900s.  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 10:03:24 am »
It does appear to be a nice little Victorian painted brooch !! Wendy`s date is about right !!

PhilipJFry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:08 am »
Does look like a nice standard, look's like it's been kept safe over the years. Do you have an exact year of manufacture for this, also any hallmarks or initials on the item, check the back sides etc. There might be something. Though a nice peice.

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:54:54 am »
Thanks for the info.  There are no identifying marks anywhere on the piece.  The pin length was interesting.  When I hold it up and look at it straight on, you can just barely see the pin tip extending beyond the brooch and will catch on your finger if you rub across the edge.  You are right about being kept safe.  This gal would cover her clothes with bags from a dry cleaner to keep off dust, so I imagine collectibles and treasures were held vault-syle.  Thanks again!