Author Topic: Old press, but for what?  (Read 1767 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Old press, but for what?
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »
I picked up a box of antique tools at a garage sale, and it contained some kind of press in it. The overall length is 15", height is 7". The receiving end of the press is hollow, the press part that comes down is solid. Looks like you would have put something into the receiving end, and press something down onto it. The question is, what?

The only markings on it are the remnants of the word Patented on the side. First three letters are worn off, but you can tell this is what it said.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Re: Old press, but for what?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 06:14:08 pm »
What do the two pressing edges look like?  I'm curious if the top one seems to have a crimping pattern.  My first thought was that this looks vaguely like a primitive shotgun-shell reloader.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 06:27:30 pm »
No pattern on either of the pressing sides. Top half is just flat metal, bottom half is an empyu tube. Could have been an antique shell loader. I will need to measure the tube side to see if that would make sense.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:56:39 pm »
What is the depth of the hollow tube? and diameter?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:48:12 am »
Looks almost like a press for buttons used on things like classic car spare tire straps and the like. Just a stab in the dark anyways.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:49:42 am »
First thing I thought of was the small snuff containers in the metal tin,, possibly for pressing the top on as it had to be tight !! But could be for putting items together with a type of brad or for attaching grommets !!  Could have had several sizes of steel fittings that would go into the bottom and they could be changed out for the correct size grommet !! Like for tents and tarps ect !!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:52:57 am by mart »

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
I measured the receptacle tube and it is 2 3/8" deep and 1 1/8" wide. Still have no clue what it is for!