Author Topic: Help indentify artist.  (Read 4453 times)

TheTodds

• View Profile
Help indentify artist.
« on: October 10, 2011, 02:31:52 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone could help me identify the artist of this painting.To me it looks like A G King,but i can't find anything on the net about an artist with that name,or any painting's for that matter.
I would really like to look at other painting's by this artist as i love this picture.Also if anyone know's the name of this painting that would be great.
Thank's in advance.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Help indentify artist.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:53:58 pm »
Looks like A.G. or A.C. King to me.

Haven't found anyone yet with that name......will take a better look after dinner  ;)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »
Have you tried A. C. King?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:17:56 pm by snowflake »

TheTodds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:16:57 pm »
Thank's for the replies.I have tried both Agnes King and A.C King.It's really bugging me lol.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:58:28 pm »
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/art-centre/ I wonder if this is the aetist King. Scroll down and look at the faces. They are similar to your painting.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »
Didn`t see an artist with that name !!  Only the center that is having glasses and workshops is called King Art Center in that one GA !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:50:36 pm »
Can we get some history on this painting ?? Where did you get it,, size,, is it an oil or a print ?? Would probably have to take it out of frame but what kind of canvas is it on !!  Tap on the front and see if its possibly a print on canvasboard !! Anything you know about it would help !!  I looked at listed American artists of 20th century and contemporary artists and it was not listed so have to change directions !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:51:29 pm »
I meant King the school is named after.

TheTodds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 01:39:50 am »
Can we get some history on this painting ?? Where did you get it,, size,, is it an oil or a print ?? Would probably have to take it out of frame but what kind of canvas is it on !!  Tap on the front and see if its possibly a print on canvasboard !! Anything you know about it would help !!  I looked at listed American artists of 20th century and contemporary artists and it was not listed so have to change directions !!
Sorry should have been more specific in my post,didn't think it was important as i was only looking for the artist name.
It's not the original painting it's a litho.It measures 20" x 15". My husband bought it from an antiques shop,the dealer didn't know much,only that it's a victorian litho,and he thought the signature said H.King.
I've studied the signature through a loupe and to me it look's nothing like a H.King.To me it look's like a H.G.King

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
I have pretty much bombed out every direction with this one !! About all  I can find points to a UK artist but Not sure which one !! Agnes Gardener King was a victorian genre artist and so was Henry John Yeend King and those are the two closest so far !! Looked through some of their work but didn`t find anything similar !! Both had mostly farm scenes !! Found a print on ebay most like yours but no signature given !! That play on light is what I am mostly looking for !! I have checked AC King AG King, H. King ( definately not that one unless you like broccoli enough to hang it on your wall) and HJ that I mentioned above !! Also checked the same initials with the last name Kuny because it looked similar !!
If this pic has a dust cover on it you might check the back of the actual print to see if there is more info or take it out of the frame and check the border of the print for the painting name !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:27 am »
The second initial looks like a capital "H" if you compare to old handwriting styles.

http://www.google.com/search?q=old+handwriting+style&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=GV0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OWmUTpCFHujKiQKp8JzgBA&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1432&bih=702

If the above link doesn't work just google old handwriting styles and check out images.

There was a John Haynes King. From another site: "King was born in Barbados, but came to England in his early twenties where he became a notable London based figure painter. He exhibited at the Royal Academy from the 1860s-1900s."

Still looking for an example of his signature...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 10:42:27 am »
Oceans you're one step ahead of me......was still typing this when you posted.. :D

Found a British  artist Haynes King (1831-1904), but the only signature I found that was felt to be attributed to him was more printing than cursive and the H and K were combined.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/haynes-king    (click for slide show of some of his work) 

Short bio......

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speel/paint/haynking.htm

From Christie's ......... you can zoom in on this signature here

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5107005

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 10:58:34 am »
Finally found that example I had seen before that was attributed to 'possibly Haynes King'. From the glimpses of signatures on other pieces, it does seem that he signed many combining the H and K

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=1&weiid=5445986&lang=En

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 12:44:35 pm »
I looked at that one too Sapphire but signatures didn`t match !! One think about artists they pretty much kept their signatures close in style although a few did add minor changes as they progressed !!  But since that is what identifies their work they rarely will vary much !!