Author Topic: Little Floral Cloisonnae Plate  (Read 7641 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Little Floral Cloisonnae Plate
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 01:02:44 am »
    I was thinking the same about mine also, does look almost mexico in orgin, and for sure Folk art like, and yes it is twisted wire with Enamel paint in between, and the back is Spun Brass, lot different then any I have seen before, but seems to fit the Catagory.  My friend did not give me a area of Origin, but for pretty sure it is early 19th Century in age, I will have to do some more consulting next time I see him.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 01:07:32 am »
Hey , it seems like a keeper to me , ironlord !

Got alot going for it in the 'unusual' dept. , IMO .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 07:54:35 am »
Back in the 50`s there was a lot of this stuff around !! Some made in France, (black fencing) and a lot from Italy !!  Made in many styles !! Mexico also had their version of Cloisonne !!  And there is one type that looks similar but is a paint style only and does not have raised fencing !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:40 am »
They are both great pieces. I love Cloisonne too! Probably because it is durable.  ;) I posted my cigarette box a while ago but have yet to put up my bowl. I did try searching for yours GG, didn't have any luck. I like primitive/rustic  looking stuff but if I ever did start collecting, I would collect this. It's beautiful, hard to wreck and cleans easy.

Yours looks raised, Ironlord. Is it? Pretty cool looking!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32:57 am »
   Yea it has Raised Fencing and has not be smooth out, This is the only thing about it that may not make it considered Closisonne.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »
Thanks, snowflake!  You are such a sweetheart.

Ironlord, I didn't see the pic of yours till now for some reason, but it's darling!  Looks old and folksy!  I wonder what sort of bird that is?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 01:10:52 pm »
Fancypants...you are so good!  Right on about that!  There are so many pieces out there that try and imitate the true "age-old" process of cloisonne without the skill/tedious work/time that it took to make the pieces!  AND they do a good job to the untrained eye.

This is a nice piece...just not antique and I do not believe even vintage (50 years old).  Looks more like what you saw coming out of Mexico....but then it strikes me that it could be an item from Europe!

Mud pie anyone?  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:15:30 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »
Haha...cute pig picture!  I always considered vintage to be 25 years+.  Well my eye isn't "trained" per say, but I do believe it's all hand worked and probably took time and technical skill to make, as the details are all slightly different.  I'm still in love with it, mud pies and all  :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22:58 pm »
    I think KC was mud pieing my Plate on that last one, Cause I would bet that yours is at least vintage and for sure not mexico.  Let me Clean my plate off from this intense mud fight we are having.  ;D  and give it a close look.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 01:28:58 pm »
Oh, I think you're right, ironlord.  Well, I still think yours is nice, too.  Certainly it's interesting & different and I've never seen one quite like it before.  What a mud fight!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 06:00:57 pm »
I think Winston Churchill was the one that said something like - " A cat looks down on you , a dog looks up to you , but if you want to see your equal , look a pig in the eye ."

Mud ... what mud ?
I can't see any mud !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 07:23:17 pm »
He's so cute! lol
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 10:46:17 pm »
greenacres...sorry was referring to Ironlord's piece that it could be from Mexico but something made me thing from elsewhere.  Yours does look like some that were imported to US during 50's....but then I am DEFINITELY not an expert in this area!!!!

Love it Fancypants!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 11:32:59 pm »
   Yea after cleaning the mud off the plate, I began thinking it possibly looks like India Brass on the back side, still not sure.  I have a friend that may know a bit more.  But you may be right, but I still have a gut feeling it is at least vintage in age, based on the patina of the brass and the overall wear of what appears to be age.