Author Topic: antique dresser that i have no idea abouth...  (Read 1898 times)

dyonus

• View Profile
antique dresser that i have no idea abouth...
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »
I've done some research, but all i have to go by is the big numbers and letters on the back, and i got nothing from google.

i'm dying to know the value of this. my mom said she had somebody offer her $800 about 15 years ago, but i can never tell if my mom is exaggerating or not, so i figured you guys might be able to help me out.

i'm really excited to find out more about this. who made it? about what era or time? is it actually an antique? etc. all i know so far is the few things i've heard from friends. it has wooden wheels, it's solid oak i believe, and the top side-by-side drawers have a wavy design to them, and the rest are just flat. also, the corners of the drawers aren't nailed or anything, they are criss crossed into each other, that's the best way i can explain it. each drawer also has a key hole.

anyways, here are the pictures. i think i have 11 of them. thanks so much!!

http://imgur.com/a/xvfJv

dyonus

• View Profile
Re: antique dresser that i have no idea abouth...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:41 pm »
would it help if i posted the pictures in the actual thread other then using the link?

i just noticed thats what most other people do. i'm used to reading www.reddit.com, and there we use imgur.com for all pictures, so i wasn't sure. ok thanks :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:33 pm »
   I'll let the real furniture experts chime in on this one, but the joints are called Dovetail, and usually a sign of earlier pieces, say pre 40's or so.

matty77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:29 pm »
Looks to be a well-made dresser.  The serpentine top drawers definitely "dress" it up!  I agree with your oak assessment (except I couldn't tell if the drawer-fronts were veneered in something else - the pictures were a bit hazy).  The half-blind dovetail joints on the drawers look machined (not hand-cut), and the marks on the back lead me to believe this to be a factory-made reproduction of a Victorian-era dresser.  That being said, it appears to be a high-end reproduction, and perhaps from the earlier 20th century.  I agree with IronLord's comment about pre-1940's.  I have no doubt that some of the Hero Members here will be able to give you a more definitive time frame.  Good luck!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:38:01 am »
I am going to cast my vote for the teens (1910-1919ish) It's hard to tell, the dovetails are machine cut like matty said so it's after the 1890s or so. The style looks 1890s-ish but the stamps remind me of ones from the 20s. Therefore, I'll just say the teens to even it out lol. Anybody else have any ideas, now that I have thoroughly confused dyonus?  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:07:03 am »
Looks like a chest rather than a dresser !! Pics are so blurry couldn`t see much detail but looks to be around 20`s or so !! Tiger oak, top two drawers which was done to dress up a piece a bit although I have seen the entire piece in that type of oak !!  This one looks like straight grain on the rest !!  Couldn`t see top !!  Most likely those two drawers are veneered but can`t tell about the rest !! Would have had castors originally so those are correct !!  It looks like pulls are correct but couldn`t see well enough to tell for sure !!  Back then everything had locking drawers !! Its a pretty common style, not worth a lot, maybe $200. but a nice piece !!

dyonus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 08:28:03 am »
what would distinguish this from a chest or a dresser? i've had many dressers (just newer ones to hold my clothes in and such) and this is roughly the same height / width / depth as all of them.

also, none of the dresser has any different finishes on it. it's all solid oak, except maybe a little vaneer on the side.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:06:07 am »
Dresser would have had a mirror,, you can look and see if perhaps that is missing !!  Would be holes on the back to attach it !! Should be able to see where it was attached !! This appears to be a bit taller than a dresser !! Can`t tell much from your pics !! Look at the top about how to post pics here and the size requirements,, then take a couple of good shots of the front and top !! We can usually click on the pics if we need to enlarge them !! I cant see enough to tell about the rest of the wood !!  I was not talking about the finish,, I meant the cut of the wood !! Some was cut across the figuring which would be tiger oak and some was cut more lengthwise of the grain !! All the same wood just different cutting methods !!