Author Topic: Kittinger Piece??  (Read 5743 times)

jtluttrell

• View Profile
Kittinger Piece??
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:52 pm »
I have a customer who would like to know what this piece is. It has a pull-out shelf inside, on the bottom. Thanks!

Tag reads Kittinger Buffalo.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:21:11 am by jtluttrell »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Kittinger Piece??
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:57:33 pm »
Hi, jtluttrell. Welcome to the forum! I wish I could help but there are a few people here that will be able to give you great information. I just had a few questions. Is that a hinge at the top? It looks like it swings open.

Can you post a picture of the inside? Any markings, stamps or writing might help. It's a nice piece, can't wait to find out what it is!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:53 pm »
Welcome!

This possibly looks as if it is a liquor cabinet that was very popular during the WWII era up to the late 50's.

Any stains inside or tell tell signs of usage?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jtluttrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:57 am »
Welcome!

This possibly looks as if it is a liquor cabinet that was very popular during the WWII era up to the late 50's.

Any stains inside or tell tell signs of usage?

Well, that's what it's being used for!  Can anyone confirm that was it's intended purpose?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:15:46 am »
I think that is correct !!  Freestanding liquor cabinet !! Shelf would slide out for easier access !! Short upper shelf says it was probably for something like highball glasses rather than martini`s !! Would date to 50`s from style and construction !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:39 am »
I've had a couple that have had a hole for a cord through the back. I've called them a "telephone cabinet / desk" from the 1920's - 30's. A phone would sit on the pull out shelf. I believe they came with a matching chair. That was back when making or receiving a phone call was an special event, rather than an ongoing necessity.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:45:55 am »
You have probably seen but this company was commissioned by the Nixon Administration to decorate the White House and (according to wiki) a few pieces remain today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kittinger_Company

Thought that was interesting (altho of no help to your original question).
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:53:13 am »
Interesting company Kittinger !!  Made some excellent reproductions of period furniture !! Check out elmwood.com or elmwoodfurniture.co m I forget which it is but you will find it anyway. The were commissioned to make many of the pieces in Colonial Williamsburg !! That ended in 1990 but I guess they are still in operation !!  Didn`t see where it said they had went out of business !!

jtluttrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:39 am »
I've had a couple that have had a hole for a cord through the back. I've called them a "telephone cabinet / desk" from the 1920's - 30's. A phone would sit on the pull out shelf. I believe they came with a matching chair. That was back when making or receiving a phone call was an special event, rather than an ongoing necessity.

This one also has a hole in the back, but it seemed to me that it was not original. Also, why a lock on a telephone cabinet?

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:26:06 am »
I also saw telephones in furniture like that before too. I wonder how much a phone call cost when they first came out. I imagine you would have to lock the phones up from kids and adults that couldn't resist playing with a new fangled invention.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 01:03:53 pm »
Problem with that theory is you couldn`t get to it either without some effort,, not to mention it would muffle the ring !! Just looked through several sites and at Kittingers catalog and I saw nothing in any catagory relating to phones !! Did see several liquor cabinets in different styles !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:08:16 pm »
Since they are still in business you could always contact them. I did that with a table of my Gran's and that company was more than happy to date it for me. Someone had decorated the top with tiles and they said it didn't come out of their store with the tiles.

Anyway, here is their contact:
http://www.kittingerfurniture.com/contact.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
They have furniture to die for !!  Beautiful !!!  Whoa !!!  Is that a Sheraton/Hepplewhite shield back chair I see beside the cabinet ??  Just noticed that !!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:54:40 pm by mart »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 07:04:55 pm »
You can tell that much about a chair from that little bit, mart? Wow!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 07:11:22 pm »
That one is hard not to know !! Had one once that was an original when I had my shop but sold it !!  Have kicked myself ever since !!