Author Topic: Vintage japaneese etched vases  (Read 1841 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Vintage japaneese etched vases
« on: October 15, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »
Me again  :) found these this morning, thought they were kinda cool so I grabbed them (another $3 gamble lol) vases are metal, stand 8.5" tall and the etching and color are really nice. a note that came with them said they were bought in japan in 1967, but other than a "made in japan" stamp into the bottom, theres no markings. just wondering if anyone has seen these before, thanks!
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Re: Vintage japaneese etched vases
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:43:54 pm »
Haven't seen these before but would say late 1960s Japan sounds about accurate.  Mixed metal vases with rooster designs was a popular Japanese style, in the early 1900s they were made with cloissonae or enamel, silver, or gold inlays.  Yours looks to be a less expensive, modern repro inspired by those earlier designs.  Still worth more than $3, though!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:49:42 pm »
Yes,, I had a pair of lamps done in the same way !! Laquered brass that has been etched through the laquer to create the pattern sometimes with added paint details !!  Nice pieces !! I got good money for the lamps !!  Not sure how the market is now though !! Done 50`s through the early 70`s that I know of but could be earlier or later so date is about right !!  Mine were landscapes  !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:50:57 pm »
    What you have I believe is what is called Chokin Art Vase.  I had a couple of Plates with this style of Art on it, one even had a label on the back telling about the Art Tech.  Check out Chokin Art

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 02:09:07 pm »
Here are some shots of the Chokin Art I had and a pic of the label on back of one of them

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:58:21 pm »
it does look like the same style, thanks for the tips everyone! Anyone know when they started marking them with " Art of Chokin "?
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells