Author Topic: Starting prices  (Read 2392 times)

galaxywomun

• View Profile
Starting prices
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
how do you set the starting price??  do you go low, or start at what the item is worth.  i set mine really low (westmoreland milk glass pedestal doric pattern) and i'm kind upset i did!  ohh...maybe there will be a bidding war.  or maybe it won't sell and i can price higher. 

what are your experiences?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Starting prices
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:49:07 pm »
      I have learned to set my starting price at the lowest I'm willing to take for the item.  I find that most items I post will get 1 bid, and only a few times have I got a bidding war.  I of course research each item to try and find the value of the item first, to get a good ideal of what might be a value.  Then as I repost I tend to drop my price on some items this would depend on what I want and if I'm tried of looking at in on my shelf.  But as a general rule always set your price to at least what you are willing to take, cause you can never expect a bidding war when you set you price low.

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:50:42 pm »
yea--i just found the *revise an item* button and set the price a bit higher.  we'll see. thanks for the advice! 

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:15:45 pm »
For an auction, I always price it at the minimum that I can take and still make a profit. For a Buy It Now, I usually have a muchn higher price, but accept best offers. If it takes six months to sell, then the monthly fees are covered in the price, and even I accept a rather low offer, I'm still in the green.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...