Author Topic: Question regarding black light and cut glass  (Read 2063 times)

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
Question regarding black light and cut glass
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:09:20 pm »
Hi everyone!  I've been collecting cut glass for a while now and have recently come across different articles about using a black light to help date it.  Was curious about any opinion of those in this forum since there are some conflicting views online.  Some feel that it is inaccurate because some of the newer czech pieces will still fluoresce.  Would really appreciate any comments. 

On a side note, my husband & I were at an auction this week and he bought me a binder full of "Antique & Collector's Reproduction News" for a quarter.  I couldn't believe that no one bid on them!

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding black light and cut glass
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:07:30 pm »
Several members here are very knowledgable about glassware !! I am not one of them !! LOL
However good buy on the binder !! Should be interesting reading !! Sometimes you can get good deals on back magazine issues on ebay,, whatever your interest is in !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »
I've never heard of that. Have you tried putting the question into a search engine?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:18:17 pm »
You DO use a black light to determine if an item is true Vaseline glass (glass made with uranium glows!!!)

Also newer and older materials react differently.

Maybe this article will help!

http://www.antique-hq.com/7-tips-to-authenticate-antiques-using-black-uv-light-540/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:43:43 pm »
Thanks KC.  I had also read that article as well as others that refer to vaseline glass due to the uranium content.  I wasn't sure if the yellow hue given off from depression glass and older cut glass was also due to uranium or something else.  I have tested some items that I have been able to date such as a Heisey Prince of Wales Plumes Punchbowl and it did fluoresce yellow.  I also tested some newer items and they did not.  I am a believer, just didn't know if there might be something else to consider.  As always, thanks for your help!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »
Now, I do remember ads like that on ebay. Never even thought of it!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »
Seems like I heard somewhere that true lead crystal does something in black light but can`t remember what !!