Author Topic: Your thoughts on restoration?  (Read 1952 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Your thoughts on restoration?
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:04:48 pm »
This is an original 5'-0" tall cast iron J.I.Case eagle that I picked up at an estate auction a few years ago. It's obvious that it's been repainted during the past 50 years. As much as I like old surfaces, I wonder if restoring / repainting this object wouldn't improve it? What do you think?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on restoration?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:27:33 pm »
I'm a little unclear of what you are asking?  It has already been repainted...you are wanting to strip and paint again?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »
I'm a little unclear of what you are asking?  It has already been repainted...you are wanting to strip and paint again?

Whoever repainted this piece used their “artistic license” with the painting of the continents on the globe. They were originally painted very close to scale, shape and location. (It bugs me to look at "Florida" and a see that string of islands extending to South America.)

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:35 am »
They really did a horrific job on the globe didn't they? Since it's already been "repaired" I really doubt the value will be hurt if it were stripped and done properly.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:59:10 am »
To do it right, you need to know how it was originally and follow that pattern !! As well as colors used !! I would agree that your eagle was not well done, but its possible that whoever touched it up was following the lines that were already there !!  Check that first, and if not, and you are artist enough to return it to original,, go for it !! I would not try to just strip it,, have it sand blasted !!  There are products that can be used that will not do damage to the surface !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:58:22 am »
Got cha'.  I googled this item under CASE EAGLE images and came up with LOTS of images.  Finding the original is your key.

I understand the situation now.  I personally would redo it...after all it has already been altered.  HOWEVER, I would research the paints originally used, style, etc and duplicate it. 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!