Poll

I have a cast iron grapevine pattern garden bench and chair w/arms, one of the chairs is aluminum, and I also have a cast iron hall tree and flower box stand.  I have been seeking what these are worth and am finding numerous results.  Any thoughts?  I can

How do you know what era they are from?
0 (0%)
The hall tree looks very old and is extremely heavy...there is an upraised "8" on the bottom tray, what does this mean?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 24, 2011, 04:45:51 pm

Author Topic: Grapevine cast iron garden set  (Read 6713 times)

ackergal13

Grapevine cast iron garden set
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »
My dear friend left me this beautiful cast iron (except for one chair) grape vine patterned garden set. They are the smaller in size. I would love to know their value.  The nuts are square on the cast iron chair and bench...the hall tree has an upraised "8" on the bottom. Cannot find a makers mark on any of the other pieces.  I will post pictures if I need to.  Thanks for any additional information that you may have on these pieces.  Thanks a million! BTW, how do you put an attachment in here for photos? having trouble
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:58:43 pm by ackergal13 »

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: Grapevine cast iron garden set
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:43:05 pm »
they used square nutts and bolts from the mid 1800's into the 1930's or 40's I believe (correct me if Im wrong folks).. would like to see a picture. to add a picture just go to "Additional Options" and browse and add
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:47:46 pm »
And they still use them !!  Need pics of items if possible !! There is info on posting pics in the sticky threads I believe !! Also has what size they need to be !! Its pretty easy !!

they used square nutts and bolts from the mid 1800's into the 1930's or 40's I believe (correct me if Im wrong folks).. would like to see a picture. to add a picture just go to "Additional Options" and browse and add

ackergal13

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »
I will post pics of the furniture as soon as I can get them off my phone and on to the computer...thanks!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:32 pm »
Earlier this year I read an article in the Maine Antique Digest regarding cast iron garden furniture. I found it interesting that even so called "experts" are becoming confused about determining the age of some pieces.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/stories/index.html?id=2568

ackergal13

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:20 pm »
Earlier this year I read an article in the Maine Antique Digest regarding cast iron garden furniture. I found it interesting that even so called "experts" are becoming confused about determining the age of some pieces.

Thanks for the link...quite interesting!  I will do my best to upload pics of the furniture tomorrow. :)

ackergal13

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:05 pm »
My dear friend left me this beautiful cast iron (except for one chair) grape vine patterned garden set. They are the smaller in size. I would love to know their value.  The nuts are square on the cast iron chair and bench...the hall tree has an upraised "8" on the bottom. Cannot find a makers mark on any of the other pieces.  I will post pictures if I need to.  Thanks for any additional information that you may have on these pieces.  Thanks a million!
Finally posted a picture!  Though it didn't come out very clear, sorry! Nevertheless, I hope this helps!

ackergal13

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »

Very interesting article, thanks for the link.  I posted pictures of the garden furniture, please take a peek if you get a chance.  Thanks!

ackergal13

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 04:06:00 pm »

Hey there!  I posted a picture of my cast iron garden furniture, please take a peek if you get a chance!  Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:20 pm »
http://www.coolstuffiscoolstuff.com/product_detail.aspx?ID=2134
 Isn`t this chair the same as yours only painted black ??  Its priced at $195.  The thing about cast iron is that without a name on it it is almost impossible to determine age or maker !! Except for rust it doesn`t age as furniture does and many makers used similar patterns with only slight variations !! I will take a shot in the dark and guess that yours is probably 30`s !! And I am guessing that from the style of the umbrella stand !! Assuming that it was purchased around the same time !!

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »
Pretty sure this is the same set as yours only has an extra bench with it.....

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCataloguese.asp?salelot=2551M++++970+&refno=++904250

Sold for $275

ackergal13

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 05:20:03 pm »
Pretty sure this is the same set as yours only has an extra bench with it.....

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCataloguese.asp?salelot=2551M++++970+&refno=++904250

Sold for $275
Wow!  It does look the same.  I'm shocked over the price though.  I've seen these benches for $500 or more.  The umbrella stand is not a part of the set, it has a raised "8" on the bottom and the nuts are square.  Seems older than the grapevine set but I'm not sure.

ackergal13

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:26:40 pm »
http://www.coolstuffiscoolstuff.com/product_detail.aspx?ID=2134
 Isn`t this chair the same as yours only painted black ??  Its priced at $195.  The thing about cast iron is that without a name on it it is almost impossible to determine age or maker !! Except for rust it doesn`t age as furniture does and many makers used similar patterns with only slight variations !! I will take a shot in the dark and guess that yours is probably 30`s !! And I am guessing that from the style of the umbrella stand !! Assuming that it was purchased around the same time !!
Yes, it looks pretty much the same.  I am finding so many different opinions on value.  Depending on whether it's an aluminum or cast iron.  My set is cast iron except one of the chairs is aluminum I believe.  The umbrella stand is different from the set and seems much older.  The nuts are square and there is an upraised "8" on the bottom.  Anyways, I hope to find out more...thanks so much my friend for your opinion!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »
I know that the stand is different !! I am basing an opinion on the assumption that they were purchased around the same time !! Or within ten years of each other !! That 8 means little and likely refers to the tray size only !!