Author Topic: Oil Painting Please Help  (Read 4987 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Oil Painting Please Help
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:01:00 pm »
I have this oil painting on canvas I posted someplace else and I wasn't really impressed with the help I got. This painting came with a collection of Czech stuff I purchased. I figured out what town it was by comparing it to pictures of Czech towns. Its a painting of the town of Kutna Hora. Next I compared the painting to the earliest known photos of Kutna Hora that were taken in 1865 and there are alot more buildings in the photos compared to my painting. The wide building to the left is the Jesuit College which in 1843 to 1844 the center tower was removed from this side of the building. So the painting depicts the town sometime after 1844 but before 1865.

Its signed John Stowasser but he is not a known artist so that is a dead end. I did find one John Stowasser from that region who was born in 1847 and moved to Budapest in 1867. He owned a musical instrument factory in Budapest.

How old do you think this painting is?

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Oil Painting Please Help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:15:10 pm »
I always have trouble finding with my Art pieces, Kevin. I guess it's hard unless someone sees it in person. But I got this in my e-mail today from Canadian Pickers, maybe give them a go at it.

"Expert Knowledge

Check out our collection of posts and appraisals from North America’s top experts in antiques and collectibles. Find out the history behind your antiques and what they’re worth. You never know, you might sitting on a goldmine!
Check-in frequently – we’ll be adding new contributors and articles regularly."

The link:
http://www.canadianpickers.com/pickers-handbook/expert-knowledge

Good luck.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:30:52 pm »
I have looked and searched this for the last two hours !! I am not sure that John is a typical Czech name,, at least with that spelling !! May be,, but I didn`t find it !! Checked European artists as well as American with no luck !! Since it is not by a listed and known artist,,it is more of a hobbyist piece,,value would be minimal !! But as to date I have looked at the texture of the canvas, how it is mounted and at the keys and my best guess would be that it was done early 1900`s !!  More likely around 1910 or 1920 !!  And there are numbers of 154 or 159  (couldn`t see it very well) on the bottom of the pic of the stretcher bar and I am thinking that would have been the price  !! And that is about what it would have cost around that time !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »
just tried to look at Canadian Pickers and it told me it was for Canadians only... whats this world coming too??? Isnt Minnesota close enough lol
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:18:52 pm »
Are you serious? That is awful! It's a great site. I'll make a complaint for you!  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 06:27:06 pm »
You mean they discriminate against Americans ???  Baaad site !! LOL

just tried to look at Canadian Pickers and it told me it was for Canadians only... whats this world coming too??? Isnt Minnesota close enough lol

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »
I'll bug them until they change it!  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:15:26 pm »
Tell them they are limiting their audience !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:05 pm »
In regard to dating the painting. From the colors, technique and form, I would agree with Mart in placing it in the first quarter of the 20th Century. In fact, I would even venture to guess that it might have been created shortly after the formation of the Republic of Czechoslovakia in 1918. Regardless, it is still interesting, and deserves more research. Good luck.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:11:04 pm »
Thanks very much Mart and Rauville. I was hoping it was older but I'm not surprised at all it would date to around 1920. Do you really think the 154 written in pencil would be the original price? I was wondering if it wasn't some sort of reference number. There is an ink stamp above the number 12 I was able to make out as New York, NY. It looks like there was something else above it but its pretty much gone. So what kind of value would you estimate?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 04:34:14 am »
The stamp by the size measurement is most likely the name of whatever company made the framed canvas !!  Company name and New York,NY !!  Wouldn`t be a reference number for a hobby painter,, what would the reference be ??  Pencil back then and rather simple pricing would be typical for the period !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:24 am »
I really appreciate you being patient with me Mart. If you couldn't tell I never owned a painting before. Thanks for explaining everything for me.  :)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:30:02 am »
I tried searching too! Can't get anything other than the guy who changed his last name (not same first name) to that.
I really hope this gets solved!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:44:11 am »
Thanks Snowflake. I have spent so much time searching its kind of sad. lol  Atleast I know what its a painting of and I now have a good idea of when it was done. I'm also glad Mart taught me some art basics for dummies.  :)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:47:09 am »
That you even found out what and where it was is impressive! I wouldn't have had a clue! If you want, Ill snatch your photo's and post it at the picker site.