Author Topic: Giant copper urn??? What is it???  (Read 2270 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Giant copper urn??? What is it???
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »
There was an antique store going out of business and they held an auction last week. I made out like a bandit, but I did purchase one item that has me totally stumped. It is a large copper urn like object. The owner of the store thought it had some religious affiliation, but I can't see that. Anyway, it is 25 inches high and 17 inches in diameter. I cannot see any maker's mark. There may be on the bottom, but I am unsure if I should clean this piece up or leave it with all the green stuff on it! It looks hand hammered, with very nice detail. It is hinged and the top half opens up. I have searched online, but since I am unsure of what it is for, I have been unsuccessful in identifying it.

ANy ideas?

I also have a few other pieces I may need help with, but I am still trying to work those out on my own. The research is half the fun, but this time I am stumped!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Giant copper urn??? What is it???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:47:17 pm »
How thick is the bottom part ??

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:56 pm »
Bottom half sits on 7.5" legs and is 6 inches deep on its own. No internal shelves , the bottom is just the thickness of the copper.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:31:06 pm »
Could be a "Brazier", imported from Turkey or Russia. Lot of that type of copperware found it's way to antique shops over the last 25+ years.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »
I do like the origin being Turkey or RUssian, but for a brazier wouldn't you need more space between the three legs? I am checking online under Braziers, and although sort of close, I still can't find anything like this! I hate it when an item gets the better of me!

Agggghhhhh!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:01:06 pm »
What ever that is, is is cool! Anything I looked at that resembled it, was much smaller, or had holes for incense, or tea. I had never even heard of a brazier before today! I'll keep looking, sure is a stumper. But what a great pick!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:54:25 am »
No, I meant what is the thickness of the sides ?? I have seen a few things similar that were used for storing coals overnight for starting cooking fires next morning !!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 02:59:50 pm »
Thickness of the sides is also simply the thickness of the copper (brass, whatever).

I am still no closer to figuring this out. I an't sell it until I know what purpose it served.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 03:40:39 pm »
There are so many things that have been brought here that there is no telling what it is !! Or what its use was !!  Thats the reason I don`t even look at brass unless its made in USA !! Value just isn`t there  !!