Author Topic: Lifetime Dining Table - 1930s Jacobean???  (Read 3475 times)

tiwaz80

• View Profile
Lifetime Dining Table - 1930s Jacobean???
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:10:58 pm »
I am posting the pictures of what I believe to be a 1930s Jacobean Lifetime Furniture Dining Set. I found Sekmet's posting for their similar table and chairs and nearly fell out of my seat!

My uncle purchased the set for my aunt years ago with the intention of refinishing it. However, they were too afraid to tackle all the moulding, so it sat OUTSIDE for years in the Utah desert.  >:( My mother and I refinished the table and chairs in 2003. Needless to say, my Aunt is very jealous whenever she visits.

My table has a leaf that folds out of the middle and spindles that hang from the skirt in middle of the table (men can only sit at the head of the table). But the carving and mouldings are exactly the same as yours. However, I had to chisel out the moulding on the bottom of the legs because so much was missing. My top does have a veneer on it, but it's not the same as yours. Mine has a more of a tiger's stripe to it. There is a ring on one end of my table that I pull to separate the table top. As I pull my end, the other end pushed out. So expanding or contracting the table top is a one person job.

Have you found any new info on the exact time period? After what I've found, I don't think our tables are part of the 1913 Jacobean line. I read that line still looks like heavy mission period with a few arches and some spindles.

I can't tell you how excited I was to find your table and chairs on here! I had no idea what the arm chairs looked like. I have four chairs and a strange stool. It's breaking my heart, but sadly I'm needing to combine two households soon. I am trying to figure out what kind of price I should put on the set.

tiwaz80

• View Profile
Re: Lifetime Dining Table - 1930s Jacobean???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:34:39 pm »
Did the pictures post? I see them from my computer, but my mom can't from hers. hmmm???

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:44:14 pm »
I see them. Nice!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 06:52:32 pm »
Yes they posted fine !! You have a very nice set !!  I can see your aunt being jealous !!  There were many companies that produced a similar line so the difference in your set and the other one would most likely be a companies version of a similar style !!  What ever was popular and was the style of the day is what they made but with their own twist on carvings, legs ect !! Your table was a higher end piece at that time and that is why it has the hidden leaf !! If I remember how they work ,,you slide it down and a spring raises it,,then folds out ??  Its been a while since I have seen one !! Your set would have had a chair at the end or masters chair,, they say captains chair now,, that would have arm rests !! May have had one at each end but that was an option !! I think your table and chairs were from around the same period just different makers !!
Very nice set !!  Take care with those spindles,, !!

tiwaz80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:40:24 pm »
I'm so glad you can see the pictures. I tried to keep the number of pictures at a minimum b/c I know you have dial up. Thanks for the information. I didn't include the tag on the underside of the table, but it's exactly like the other table. Product number: 4111, Finish: Ven. Ant. and then the order number. So I'm guessing similiar models and maybe just different years? Sort of like the changes on the same model of car from year to year. ???

Should I figure the worth at somewhere around $495? You said my table is higher end, but I don't have the captain chair or the moulding on the bottom feet. Although, I do have the strange bench. I appreciate you help!  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:11:20 pm »
Basically that could be right or they could have been made around the same time period and yours being the higher end set would be a different style as far as carving, trim ect !! Just like now you find the manufacturers may have a more expensive line and then a more moderate priced one with similar styles but the more expensive one just had more bells and whistles !!  If your set has the labels you might post the info on Craigslist ect and find the captains chairs or even ebay is a good place to look !!  You didn`t post a pic of the bench !!  Is it the same as the table & chairs ?? Can I see it ?? Also take a pic of the moulding that is missing !!  I will wait on that before I estimate price !!

tiwaz80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19:09 pm »
Thanks again for your help! I've made some comparison pics to make things easier. Unfortunately I just can't catch the writing on the label due to the flash. Upon first glance, I thought the bench was some sort of mish-mash of chair parts. But after inspecting the parts and construction, it is consistent with the rest of the table. Any idea of what this bench is? I just keep it near by. (you can see it tucked under the shelves in the background of my prior pictures. But here it is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:41:59 am »
I see what you mean !!  Its the foot that is damaged !! Those pieces are just glued on and are frequently lost if stored like yours was !! Did you check to see if they were laying around when you got it ??  Almost any good wood worker could reproduce those pieces !! Getting a perfect fit might be a little tricky but it could be done !!  That bench does match the set and I think it was purchased as just additional seating !! We had something similar when I was a kid !!  My grandmother had a bench that went with a bedroom set that we used on holidays for the mob that we had for dinner!! Usually the kids got the bench and the adults got regular chairs !! With the damage on your table and without the captains chair I would probably ask a little more for your set,, maybe around $600. but please take into account that it is still going to be more difficult to sell this style and it is going to be a more limited market that if it were an american oak set that would blend easily into todays homes !!  If it were me I would list it at $600. but if I got a decent offer below that I would not turn it down !!  But that is just my opinion !! Some geographical areas do sell better that others !!

tiwaz80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 05:49:02 pm »
Thank you so much, Mart! This has been such a wonderful experience and I've thoroughly enjoyed learning everything you'd shared about my dining set. I'm actually bummed to be losing the set. The upside is that I live in upper Dallas and most people decorate in a "Traditional" theme - lots of dark woods and antiques. Hopefully I'll find a great home for the set.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 06:28:59 pm »
What area of Dallas ??  I Was raised in Mesquite and worked downtown on Brian and Haskell at Southwestern Bell for a while !!  Am Kind of familiar with the older areas !! In fact I am only about 2 hours down I-30 from you in Mt Pleasant, Texas !!   We moved here in `72 !!  Small world !! But if you are in an older area you should have no trouble finding a home for your set !!  That hidden leaf is a good selling point !!

tiwaz80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:06 pm »
ha! Small world, indeed! I live in Allen. It's a suburb NE of Dallas between Plano and McKinney. McKinney is full of beautiful Victorian homes and as I said earlier, most people around here decorate with elaborate dark wood pieces.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:21:45 am »
I know where it is geographically but thats about all !! McKinney is an old town and should be a good selling area !!  Allen area was just country when I was there !! Farming community as was most of Plano and McKinney !!  It has grown since then !!