Author Topic: Very old wooden furniture from Europe (late 1800s or early 1900s)  (Read 2270 times)

Nippers

• View Profile
I have recently inherited some very old wooden furniture which was originally imported from Europe by my great, great grandmother.

It is very well made, very unusual, and even has fully functioning wooden wheels which helped us move it around.

Here are some pictures of it...

How much do you think this is worth?

Current location of this furniture:  Phoenix, Arizona.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:27:52 am by Nippers »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Very old wooden furniture from Europe (late 1800s or early 1900s)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:33:08 am »
Can't help you with value (will leave that up to the furniture knowledgeable people), but do have to say this......WOW!! just WOW!! Beautiful!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:44:55 pm »
Pics are so big all I could see was bits and pieces !!  Your china cabinet appears to be either English or French and in the Jacobean style !!  The style was known for having those elaborate stretchers and large urn shaped knees and back then everything had casters !! There was a resurgence of this furniture late 1800`s !!  No pics of construction methods so can`t see the dovetails !! Of if there was a pic of them it was too big for dial up !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:21:09 pm »
Wish I could help but had to say it is an amazing piece of furniture!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:52:04 pm »
Couldn`t see the last pic, computer doesn`t like big pics !!  Unfortunately this type furniture doesn`t sell well !!  Its like the Empire style,, it just doesn`t fit in with todays decor styles !!  It takes a specific type of house and collector and they are few and far between !!  As to value,, I would say around $350. to $400. depending on area !!  It is a very nice piece though !! Maybe a few other members can chime in on this one !!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:51:10 pm »
I would have to agree with mart on that price range.  I know where I am (Eastern Canada) $400 would be about right. Sad really when you think about the garbage that is being produced today.

Snagged the pics and reposting......hope it makes it easier for the DU people.  ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:56:55 pm »
Let's try that last one once more.....see if it'll turn right side up this time

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:11:50 am »
Thanks for resizing the pics Sapphire !!   It is a shame that homes today just do not accomodate these older pieces !!  Much better built than what you can buy today and they have class !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 10:32:57 am »
Ohhhh, that is beautiful! Seems a shame that it is only worth that when you have a look at what furniture sells for today.

Nippers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 04:28:03 pm »
Sorry for not getting back sooner than this.  I just got back from a vacation.  Thanks for all of the responses.

Ah!  I was hoping that these were worth a fortune.  Oh well.  I will just have to keep them and use them, and then pass them on to the next generation of my family when the time comes.  Maybe when they get to be 200 years old, they will be worth something!  The amazing thing is that I believe they will still be in good shape at that point because they are so well built.  So solid, and yet the doors work perfectly, and the drawers slide effortlessly.  The glass is so old, it has begun to "run" down, leaving those distinctive signs that only really old pieces of glass have.

Does anyone have any idea of the exact period and the exact origin of these pieces?  I have heard conflicting things from relatives, but the general consensus is that they came from Europe at about the turn of the century-- around 1898?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 05:37:45 pm »
Its almost impossible to give an exact date for furniture unless it was maked on the piece when it was made !! Furniture styles overlap by at least 20 to 30 years !! There is no cutoff date to say this style started on this date and ended on this one !! That  is why it is  extremely difficult to say exactly when something was done !! But the date that your family gave you is within the correct period and they would know best !! So go with that one !!  It is a nice piece !!