Author Topic: Can anyone help identify these vintage chairs  (Read 1572 times)

gardenmom

• View Profile
Can anyone help identify these vintage chairs
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:38:17 am »
These chairs are over a hundred years old. They are very ornate, with a carved design of swirling stems and leaves. They are both 24"x17" wide and 35" high. Legs are 13 1/2" high and backs are 22" high. There are five slats on the arms and the backs appear to be three pieces of wood glued together. The chair with the upholstered back has a square of fabric 10"x9". The chair that is all wood has a lighter wood inlay with small mother of pearl circles. On each side of the inlay the leaf design drops into a bouquet of flowers that match the upholstery design. The upholstery on both chairs is leaves and flowers, and the padding is horse hair. They are assembled with pegs, no nails. The legs don't match on the chairs but the overall design and fabric make me believe that they are a pair, from the same source.

I have spent many hours on the internet trying to find something similar, but have only managed to increase my confusion. I think that they may be French with a Rococo influence. They were from the grandparents home in Michigan. There are no tags or stamps anywhere.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone help identify these vintage chairs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:59:53 pm »
Have you noticed the scarab resemblance in the inlay center ??  Could we get a clear pic of the foot & leg and one of the chair bottomand include if possible one with the "pegged construction"  !!  That is how most all chairs were made !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone help identify these vintage chairs
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »
very cool!! the detail is something else and I was thinkin it looked like a scarab too
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells