Author Topic: Primavera China Cabinet  (Read 1650 times)

morris47201

• View Profile
Primavera China Cabinet
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this cool cabinet. The tag is no longer in the back, so I am not sure who made it or it's worth. I have searched and searched and can't find anything like it. I got this out of a storage locker in Cincinnati OH.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:23:51 pm by morris47201 »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Primavera China Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:08:54 am »
Morris, if you search  Google Images for ... stepback cupboard ...... you will find oodles of them.

I can't really tell how old yours is but I will guess pre-1950 from what I can see by your pictures. I'm being cautious until I know more about the construction details.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 04:27:34 am »
Appears to be late 30`s to 40`s country pine cupboard !! Pretty common piece but still nice !!

morris47201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:11:40 am »
Thanks for the info! I didn't know it was called a stepback cupboard. New to this. Lol. On the back you can see on both parts of the cupboard a tag or label was there at one time. In pencil on the back it says "nat. Primavera and then some numbers. Other then that there is no markers anywhere else. Thanks for the help.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 09:19:34 am »
Thats why we are here !! To assist those that are new to antiques and collectables !! That would mean that Primavera is the style name of the manufacturer and nat. means "natural finish" !!   Its worth is not great but should make around $150 or a little more !!  These pieces sell fairly well here in Texas and will blend in well with most of our country houses !!  In fact I wish I could toss my china cabinet for one like yours !! But its not big enough for this china set,, service for twelve,, he brought back from Japan !! So I guess I am stuck with this one he picked out !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:07 am »
The carving is reminiscent of what you might see on Eastlake style furniture tho it's certainly missing the "over-the-top" decoration of what you would typically think of as Eastlake.  I looked thru his book but didn't find anything similar. Eastlake did have some more simple designs but nothing like this that I saw...  Just thought I'd mention tho - if nothing else than to "muddy the waters" a bit  ;D

Here is an example of what I'm talking about from my chair if it helps...

ETA: Agree with Cougar that more detailed pics of construction might help with dating. Pics of the back, how corners were joined, and hardware (screws, nails etc), how the handles are attached (again hardware).  Anything that you might think would be helpful...

Editing... Agian: Is it possible that was some additional molding remove from the very top? Remnants of glue, old nail holes, etc?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:35:21 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:51 am »
In the first picture, is that the hinge sticking out on the left?  Can you take a pic of the open door with a close up of the hardware/hinge?  I believe that it could be an older piece...but the new pics should help.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!