Author Topic: Very old brass tea kettle/ tea pot?  (Read 2053 times)

pplanko

• View Profile
Very old brass tea kettle/ tea pot?
« on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:24 pm »
Mom picked this up at a thrift store or yard sale for next to nothing. I think it might be something important, it seems very old & it is very heavy.. almost 5 pounds. I don't know if it is Chinese or what. There are no markings on the bottom. I have tried to find one similar on the internet and I can't find ANYTHING close. I'd appreciate any leads or info I can get. I put it on eBay but I think I am going to remove it until I find out what it really is. I'm including the link here for now because I don't know how to post pictures.
Thanks so much! Penny
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180743118214&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_500wt_1054

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Very old brass tea kettle/ tea pot?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:27:25 pm »
It may be tough to pinpoint the precise country of origin, but this one is very similar and was identified as Chinese, 18th century. I would try contacting this seller, they may be able to help with some info as to how they ID'd their piece.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-18TH-CENTURY-HEAVY-BRASS-ENGRAVED-CHINESE-TRADE-TEAPOT-SUPER-RARE-DESIGN-/310354600875?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item48429363ab
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:31:08 pm »
I should add that this seems pretty pricey for an item like this unless it can be positively identified. They use something similar in our local Moroccan restaurant. So it will take some research to determine how old (or not) yours really is and if this seller has based their assessment of their piece in reality or in wishful thinking.

pplanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:59:53 pm »
Thanks so much! Yeah, that does look a lot like mine. I agree that I put a big price on mine, only because I didn't want it to sell unless I was sure of the value. I really appreciate the help. :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:06 pm »
Let us know if you get a reply from that seller. It would be interesting to know what they are basing the description on. It sounds like they might be a reasonably knowledgable person or that they had their item checked out.