Author Topic: Questions about maker of federal card table  (Read 11419 times)

dr612

• View Profile
Questions about maker of federal card table
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:51:31 pm »
I own through inheritance a 5 legged card table with a triple elliptic shape that came down through my mother's family, whose forebears lived outside Albany, NY, from about 1795 to 1828.  For what it may be worth, my mother and grandfather referred to the table during their lifetimes as the "Duncan Phyfe table", although it never fit my perception of typical Duncan Phyfe style.  However, after much research, I am convinced that it very well could be a Phyfe table, albeit an unusual one. 

The characteristics that appear to me to be unique to Phyfe are the reverse curved carved legs and the small brass lion's paw feet.  I have only located three other federal tables with this style of reverse curve leg, the two card tables at Yale (Accession Nos. 1930-2004 a,b) and the dressing table described in McClelland's book on Phyfe (Plate 152).  These legs are also similar, although table length, to the legs of the window bench at MMA (Accession No. 38.52.3), and to several Sheraton chairs by Phyfe (e.g., Plate II in Cornelius; Brooklyn Museum, Accession No. 42.118.9).  All of those pieces are attributed to Phyfe.

Also, the small brass lion's paw feet appear to be peculiar to Phyfe, at least in the New York area.  While there are a number of pieces attributed to Phyfe that use this foot, I have only found 3 examples of this foot in non-Phyfe pieces, two from the Boston area (one being the Thomas Seymour 1809 commode), and one which was unidentified, and perhaps English. 

At any rate, I am hopeful that some of you are knowledgeable in this period and can help with this mystery.  I have additional photographs of various parts of the table if there is something specific that would help.  Many thanks.

Donald

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about maker of federal card table
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:34:00 pm »
Beautiful peice. Someone will know more than I. I know on "Antique Roadshow"  one sold for $460,000. You can look old shows.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:08:24 pm »
On first glance,, Phyfe would be the only one I would have thought of !! Can`t believe you have an actual period piece !! Much of what he did is either in museums or private collections !! And this has always been in your family ??Right ??

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 07:26:09 pm »
mart, isn't it something. It's very special. He's very lucky.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:57:24 pm »
Thanks.  It is a beautiful table.  If my assumptions are correct (about the Albany connection), I would be the seventh generation "steward" of this table. 

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:16:07 am »
What a gorgeous table! With some more pictures, our forum member jacon4 would probably be able to help with identification. I will post a link to his profile page so you can send him a private message, he knows so much about early furniture. :)
Just scroll down the the bottom of this page:
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=4466

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 06:22:00 am »
Although this foot style is not what was used most, there are several examples of it at the Metropolitan Museum !! Provenance is critical in the identification and value of period pieces and the fact that your family lived in the area during the time period that he worked !! I am certainly no expert on his work, but what I have read and seen examples of, he certainly is my choice !! If you can find a copy ( I had one years ago ) look in the Directoire of American Furniture, and see if there is anything similar !! Although you may not find an identical match to your table, some of the drawings may give you enough plus points to say that he is most likely the maker !!
It is a stunningly beautiful table !! I am so glad you posted to this forum !!

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:58 am »
Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I have sent jacon4 a message, so I am hopeful that I can send more photos.  I am attaching another picture of the tabletop with high intensity light.  The color and figure of the wood is amazing.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:42:34 am »
Phyfe was extremely particular about the woods he used !! During his time mahogany was a major import and he used highly figured mahogany veneers in much of his furniture !!  I think thats what your table is !!  It absolutely breathtaking !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:31:49 am »
HEY KIDS! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Phyfe huh? Well, i've got some good news and bad news, first the GOOD NEWS! I am a collector/student of early american mostly and not federal although i do have several period pieces of federal in the sheraton & hepplewhite style so i dont claim expertise in federal as it is not the primary focus of my research. And now the bad news.....

"Only rarely did Phyfe attach a trade label to his furniture, and few objects in the "Phyfe style" can be conclusively linked to the cabinetmaker through documents or family histories. Historians presume that Phyfe's confidence in the skill of his craftsmen and the prominence of his style precluded the need to assiduously label his furnishings"

This is why, even in museum collections you see " attributed to" so often when Phyfe style furniture is displayed. For a better understanding & timeline of Phyfe & Charles-Honorι Lannuier, 2 of new york citys leading cabinetmakers in the early 19th century , check out this piece by the MET.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/phla/hd_phla.htm

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:41 am »
So Donald, what i would do if i was in your shoes is, first determine if your card table tool marks/ construction details matches the timeline of manufacture by Phyfe. (one really cant do this with pics, it must be done in person, preferably under 1000 watts of light) And, if it is in fact a period piece, then i would hunt for someone who is or has documented Phyfe furniture or has studied it extensively. You will find that, generally speaking, old furniture people LOVE to discuss old furniture, never met an antiquarian that didnt. The bottom line? At best you are going to be in the "attributed to" group but hey, thats not a bad place to be considering Phyfe was a hardhead about attaching labels to his furniture. What he didnt consider is, his success in cabinetmaking would be copied by others, which it was, even while he was working.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:16:10 pm by jacon4 »

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 12:19:58 pm »
Thanks.  I actually have had someone locally look at it in person under high intensity light, and she is very positive that it is period; however, as you know, tying it definitively to Phyfe takes expertise that we don't have in this part of the country.  I guess I will wait for next year's Antique Roadshow and load it up to the nearest site.  I still believe that the reverse curve legs are key.  I have seen nothing to suggest that Allison, Dolan or Woodruff made tables or chairs with that style leg, and it is clearly not a Lannuier style table.   Thanks for your input. 

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 12:42:17 pm »
Donald, no problem, wishes i could help more but i am more into colonial (18th century) era furniture. Are you located in Albany? What i would do is inquire through email/high resolution pics of someone like a curator or book author that has studied Phyfe and his furniture personally rather than a hit or miss chance at AR. I have done this sort of thing often when i get a piece i am not sure of, naturally, sometimes if i inquire with 5 different folks, i'll get 5 different answers, lol. I would note that with early american, 99% of it is by an unknown maker so that is hardly ever discussed, its more about region and contruction details consistent with regions.

I would add that construction details are very important, for instance, what species of wood did Phyfe use for his secondary wood? Is it consistent with known pieces? The joinery is another detail thats important, every cabinetmaker has a certain way of doing things, dovetails, attaching drawer bottoms, mortise & tendons, etc. These kind of construction details are very helpful, vital in fact, if one has known pieces to compare with.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:54:35 pm by jacon4 »

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 01:25:55 pm »
Thanks again.  I wish I was in the Albany area, as I could probably get someone up from NYC to look at it.  I am down on the Gulf Coast, well out of the range of most federal period experts and museums that have this period furniture.  Any suggestions as to who to contact? 

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 01:36:29 pm »
The piece here is a good example of the old furniture i collect, i was recently inquiring on the condition (always of primary interest) as well as why they think this table is from RI. I was quite smitten with the leg turnings of this piece as well as its overall presence, below is a pic as well as the reply back to my initial inquiry, naturally, before a decision is made, there be many more inquiries.

William and Mary maple dressing table with crossed stretcher base and turned ball feet. 
Rhode Island, 1720 – 1745.
Figured Maple, with chestnut and Eastern White Pine secondary wood.

Dimensions:  height – 27 ½”, width of case – 24 3/8”, depth of case – 16”, width of top – 30 ½”, depth of top – 21 ½”

Description:  A William and Mary figured maple dressing table featuring a rectangular overhanging top with a thumb molded edge.  The top is supported by a conforming rectangular case featuring three pull-out drawers.  Each drawer features a single cast brass William and Mary hardware and is surrounded by an applied double arched cockbeaded edge.  Below the drawers the case features a scrolled apron with a high arched center section flanked by two applied turned wood pendant drops.  The case is supported by four bulbous turned stylized trumpet legs that are intersected by flat serpentine cross stretchers with rounded edges.  The cross stretchers feature a large applied turned wood finial at the intersection of the stretchers.  All is supported by four bulbous turned ball feet applied below the stretchers.

Condition:  In fine condition with original construction throughout and retaining a good old surface with mellow color and a soft patina.  The applied cast brass hardware are period replacements.  The two turned pendant drops are modern replacements and there are small repairs to the caps above the pendant drops.  There is a small repair to the right rear side of the flat crossed stretchers.  There is also an old repair, retaining the original piece, to a triangular piece on the front left edge of the top.

Provenance:  This rare and diminutive William and Mary dressing table features the serpentine shaped flat crossed stretchers associated with early Rhode Island cabinetmakers.  The construction elements and the use of chestnut secondary wood supports this attribution.